NXT RC rock crawler.

Share your building instructions or ask questions about constructing your robot
rghansen

Re: NXT RC rock crawler.

Post by rghansen »

I noticed that you build your rock crawler using bricks rather than liftarms. How do the two methods compare in terms of ease of construction, cost, robustness, stiffness, coolness, etc?

Could you show some more details of the steering mechanism?
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

How easy it is to build with them really depends on what you are trying to do.

I did use technic bricks for some of it, you're right. Bricks can be kept from twisting by simply adding plates and a perpendicular brick. They can also be joined and the highest and lowest points, meaning you can get very rigid lengths of bricks, even only one tall. You can put two bricks together (one on the other) and have a super strong/sturdy beam, especially if you put two plates between, as the spacing is exactly 3L between the holes (you can easily add a perpendicular beam or liftarm to brace them together).

I assume you are used to the liftarms, so I won't go into all the pros with them.

The technic bricks cost more usually, but I got something like 120 of the white 1x16 technic bricks on eBay for a fairly good deal (less than $0.40 US each). I also have several older technic sets which have them, and I have bought many extras.

I don't think I have ever damaged a technic brick to the point that I put it aside.

They are really stiff, much less flex than the liftarms.

Coolness? I use them, because of their properties, and because I have about 150 of the 1x16 size. When I build things, I much prefer (space and weight allowing) to use the technic bricks instead of liftarms.

Here are a few pictures I already have (I don't know where the camera is to take better ones).
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
rghansen

Post by rghansen »

I've noticed that few if any of the newer official Lego vehicles that I've looked at use bricks. I also had my doubts that a brick design would survive the frequent head on collisions that is one of the main activities of my rover robots.

But from what you've said and I've seen from other designs, it looks like it's a lot easier to build larger structures with bricks than with liftarms. I'll have to give it a try.

I'm looking forward to more closeups of your Rock Crawler and hopefully a film or two.