Installing Sofware v2.0 on Mac

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
tualatinweb

Installing Sofware v2.0 on Mac

Post by tualatinweb »

When I insert the DVD into my iMac running OS X 10.6.8 I hear the DVD spin but nothing shows up on the Desktop to click or install.

Same thing happens on my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.1 (Lion), the DVD spins but nothing shows up on the Desktop to click or install.

What did work was to install the DVD on Windows 7 using my MacBook Pro using Parallels.

Other forums talk about copying the contents of the DVD onto your desktop to install, but I cannot even get the DVD to appear in Mac OS X finder.

Any help is appreciated.

The DVD says: 8547, LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Software v2.0, For WIndows XP, WIndows Vista and Macintosh OS X.

Thank you.
tcwan

Re: Installing Sofware v2.0 on Mac

Post by tcwan »

Hope
tualatinweb wrote:When I insert the DVD into my iMac running OS X 10.6.8 I hear the DVD spin but nothing shows up on the Desktop to click or install.

The DVD says: 8547, LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Software v2.0, For WIndows XP, WIndows Vista and Macintosh OS X.

Thank you.
Did you try cleaning the disc? The other possibility is that the sectors which are used for the Mac OSX file system is damaged somehow.
linusa

Post by linusa »

It seems you can get the NXT 2.0 software legally now for download, see http://service.lego.com/en-us/HelpTopic ... ionID=2655 . Direct download link to the .ISO file is here: http://en-us.kb.lego.com/ics/support/DL ... eptID=5622 (642 MB)
RWTH - Mindstorms NXT Toolbox for MATLAB
state of the art in nxt remote control programming
http://www.mindstorms.rwth-aachen.de
MotorControl now also in Python, .net, and Mathematica
tualatinweb

Post by tualatinweb »

Thank you for the link, I'm downloading the ISO file now....

OK, it took a while to download the 673.2MB ISO file however when I double-click Install.app on my MacBook Pro (Lion) I get a dialog:

You can't open the application Install.app because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

---

I was able to install this OK on my iMac which uses Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).
Last edited by tualatinweb on 17 Oct 2011, 03:51, edited 2 times in total.
tualatinweb

Post by tualatinweb »

tcwan wrote:Hope
tualatinweb wrote:When I insert the DVD into my iMac running OS X 10.6.8 I hear the DVD spin but nothing shows up on the Desktop to click or install.

Thank you.
Did you try cleaning the disc? The other possibility is that the sectors which are used for the Mac OSX file system is damaged somehow.
It's a brand new DVD, never been used, why would it be dirty or scratched?

The Mac files for some reason are simply missing from my DVD. When I examined the DVD files on my PC I could find ZERO Mac (.pkg or .dmg) files.
tualatinweb

Post by tualatinweb »

Success with installing on Mac OS X - Lion, after following this:

1) Download the ISO file, double click to open

2) Don't click the Install.app file instead click LEGOMindstormsEngRet.mpkg

I'm still miffed and amazed that Lego shipped a DVD in my kit that had NO Mac files on it at all.
screen shot
screen shot
tualatinweb

Post by tualatinweb »

FYI, here's a comparison on the left-hand side showing the files and folders from the Lego download link and on the right-hand side the DVD that shipped with my MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0 kit:
Comparison
Comparison