New Technic "Mercedes Benz Unimog U400"

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
doc222

New Technic "Mercedes Benz Unimog U400"

Post by doc222 »

Just in case you are not a follower of this blog http://technicbricks.blogspot.com you may have not seen the new :

LEGO 8110 Unimog U400
This versatile Mercedes-Benz Unimog U400 you are up for any challenge! He is not only the largest Technic model - but also the first that combines pneumatic power functions and in a model. It is equipped with a pneumatically powered, fully steerable, almost 360 degree rotating crane with gripper arm and a front winch - all driven by power functions. The unique design also features a fully functional control system, a highly detailed engine with moving pistons, a new gear box for high ground clearance and four-wheel-drive and suspension for extreme off-road ability. Crane and winch can be converted into a giant snow plow.
With the combination of power and pneumatic functions you master the Unimog U400 every challenge!

• Pneumatically powered, fully portable crane with gripper arm - driven by power functions.
• Control of realism with 4-wheel drive and suspension for extreme off-road conditions
• Detailed engine with moving pistons
• New transmission block for additional ground clearance

Ok I hear it has a self contained air system as well pf powered at least in this pic I do not see the "old hand pump", but also do not see an air tank and the ram to switch trick to have it self regulate as well. Even if it don't have the tank/switchtricktoram it would be very easy to add. But at least we see Lego is still in pneumatics and thats cool and a good thing for parts. Those tires look nice too, wish they were "power puller" come on Lego, where is the love.

I hear it will be north of 200$ 180uros?
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein
mightor
Site Admin

Re: New Technic "Mercedes Benz Unimog U400"

Post by mightor »

I can't wait to get mine! I've been told by someone in Lego that this thing is a real monster, it's HUGE. He's a professional builder/designer and he reckons it would take him at least a full working day to build.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
doc222

Post by doc222 »

This looks very cool and may well be the "one of the best Technic" kits ever? Maybe.

I passed on the mobil track hoe and its a great model(still may get if they dont run out to soon, but that is 200$ and i have the parts to build it i think at least i know i have more then enough treads and linear parts).

I think I will get this instead if and when this comes out this summer. always need bigger tires and this has new parts for 4x4 as well good thing i passed on the last flagship model. now i have more to spend since this will be more money, hey its a Mercedes with pneumatics.

doc
Albert Einstein
doc222

Post by doc222 »

More info on this soon to be kit . looking very nice. BUT it will also be the most expensive Tech kit EVER. In dollars 250$ about 2100+ parts makes the 10cents+ per part now. Depending on how many they make, how fast it sells out. This could be one of those kits in a few years will be 1k+ They say the tires are the biggest ever as well. Hope they make many to keep the resales out of it for a time.

Link at top is the latest info.

Doc
Albert Einstein
nxtreme

Post by nxtreme »

Very, very cool! This one is definitely on my wishlist, i.e. "I wish I could have it, but it's just not practical". I dunno, maybe I'll save some little kid from drowning at the beach and get a "substantial reward from overjoyed parents", or discover a cure for cancer and win the Nobel peace prize, but until then I'm just going to have to sit here and drool. Maybe I'll make a "Mini Mockup" with the parts I have.
Last edited by nxtreme on 02 Jun 2011, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Those wheels do look pretty big, but how do they compare to the ones from 8466? Pretty cool looking set.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

nxtreme wrote:Very, very cool! This one is definitely on my wishlist, i.e. "I wish I could have it, but it's just not practical". I dunno, maybe I'll save some little kid from drowning at the beach, or discover a cure for cancer, but until then I'm just going to have to sit here and drool. Maybe I'll make a "Mini Mockup" with the parts I have.
Unfortunately, same here.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
doc222

Post by doc222 »

yea this getting into what we call real money now. It is more than my NXT was back when that was new to all. I never bought the crawler digger. So in my own way I am tring to condon such expense. There are some new parts in this too, I hear/read, some kind of planitary hub for these big wheels(this is the main reason Lego has not had big tires like the now classic 4x4.(that had no power function) Though it seems like conflicting news: It has new planitary hub, but it is not driven? Not real sure on these details and I will guess we wont until its release. Need to save my cents, though spending on such things can make no sense as well:)
doc
Albert Einstein
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

The geared hubs turn the piston engine over, much like the latest Super Car 8070. I've taken some very close looks at some of the pics and it seems there will be some new open frames as well on it (maybe C shaped). Everything I've seen says it goes on sale in Sept. I can't wait!
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

jwiger wrote:...it seems there will be some new open frames as well on it (maybe C shaped)...
Nailed it!!!

LOOOOOKKK!!!
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."