Bricx - Sorosy Debugger question

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
katamapah

Re: Bricx - Sorosy Debugger question

Post by katamapah »

Yep, just like that! Try it. It doesn't have all the fancy names and such (the variables are numbered...), but it is NBC code.
Sure. It doesn't have debug information or any other way to retrieve meaningful names, i guess :-)

It worked !
Good to know. Cool little magic.
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

You can also convert NXC->NBC directly using F5 (Compile), then F12 (Code Listing) in BricxCC. It's a lot more human-readable, but still could be improved. (I usually cut out the G2_000_N32olkajfla stuff in front of the actual variable name before trying to read the code. :))

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
katamapah

Post by katamapah »

Hi,
You can also convert NXC->NBC directly using F5 (Compile), then F12 (Code Listing) in BricxCC
Thanks. It is more convenient than the way i was using.
Previously i did it through NBC/NXC command line compiler (NBC.exe) with the -nbc key :)
Still i find the .rxe -> NBC direction more interesting, since this way you can learn a specific things from some 3rd party executable.

Debug on chip(even if limited) through BricxCC is also interesting because it seems like the only way to debug things beside the printouts.
Hopefully John (or anyone else who knows) will be able to go over it with me...

Meantime, i try to make PC->NXT blue-tooth communication work and use simple printouts for debugging.
linusa

Post by linusa »

katamapah wrote: What Bricx version are you using ?
Do you manage to debug code with the Sorosy Debugger in there ?
BricxCC 3.3.8.8 on Windows XP 32bit. Just drag & drop an RXE file in there from "My Computer" or the explorer. I'm pretty sure this feature is not tied to a specific OS or BricxCC version.

Haven't tried the Sorosy Debugger in ages, and can't remember my results. But I think it worked (at least it did something). But I'm not an NBC guy, so it was just a quick test...
RWTH - Mindstorms NXT Toolbox for MATLAB
state of the art in nxt remote control programming
http://www.mindstorms.rwth-aachen.de
MotorControl now also in Python, .net, and Mathematica
katamapah

Post by katamapah »

BricxCC 3.3.8.8 on Windows XP 32bit. Just drag & drop an RXE file in there from "My Computer" or the explorer. I'm pretty sure this feature is not tied to a specific OS or BricxCC version.
Yes, it worked for me yesterday. Open an .rxe file or just drag and drop.
Nice little magic. Nice feature.
Thanks.
Last edited by katamapah on 08 Jun 2011, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

katamapah wrote: Debug on chip(even if limited) through BricxCC is also interesting because it seems like the only way to debug things beside the printouts.
Hopefully John (or anyone else who knows) will be able to go over it with me...
This is not quite what you're looking for, but I've been working on an ARM instruction level debugger, with a BETA version which works with a modified NXT firmware here:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/mind ... ?f=3&t=811

It does not understand NBC level details, though given enough patience you would be able to get the variable values, etc.
katamapah

Post by katamapah »

Hmm... still interested...
What are the ways to (onchip?) debug NXC/NBC using BricxCC ? ;)
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

katamapah wrote:Hmm... still interested...
What are the ways to (onchip?) debug NXC/NBC using BricxCC ? ;)
I'm not sure if your question refers to armdebug, but there is currently no integration with BricxCC, since the instruction level debugger is much lower level than NXC/NBC, which runs inside a virtual machine. John Hansen mentioned previously that there are hooks in the VM to allow for instruction stepping, but I don't believe that it is fully functional.