Christmas NXT Advice

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
kanekonorth

Christmas NXT Advice

Post by kanekonorth »

Hello, I'm a new member, considering getting a NXT 2.0 kit for my 2 kids, ages 14 and 10. Both are highly inquisitive kids, very interested in robotics and architecture, basic programming and computer gaming. However, the $280 price tag is intimidating, because we've purchased many toys in the past (eg. snapcircuits) that haven't been played with very long.

Is it feasible to think that 2 kids (and me!) can share a NXT 2.0 kit? They play together reasonably well, which means most of the time OK, but 20% of time fight and won't share well.

What about getting one full kit, and then one NXT Brick, are there enough duplicate parts where this could work for 2 separate projects?
That would save me $180 to begin, and then if they both are playing with it, I could return the brick for the full kit, possibly?

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Mindstorms-B ... 138&sr=1-2

Thanks in advance!
jojoguy14

Re: Christmas NXT Advice

Post by jojoguy14 »

Hello kanekonorth,

First, I think if they are interested in robotics, and if they like LEGO's along with that, I'd say that it would be a GREAT idea to get them an NXT kit! But, to get 1 full NXT kit, then 1 extra brick, well, if you have other LEGO technic parts, you might have enough to build 2 projects. The NXT Kit only comes with enough sensors and motors and wires for ONE NXT brick. So, maybe if you have other Technic parts to use, you can get 1 full NXT kit, and 1 NXT brick+extra wires/sensors/motors.

I got MY NXT when I was about 10, and ever since, I've been building and building. Buying more parts, and after 4 years, I STILL love it and play with it! So, the playability for me has been a 6/5 stars!

Hope this helps!

jojoguy10

P.S. Check out my website for some cool creations using my NXT and Power Function motors etc. http://lego-x.com
Creator of LEGO-X TechN'XT! (http://lego-x.com http://techn-xt.blogspot.com)
Known as jojoguy10
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

The brick is but one piece. Sure, it is possible to use just the brick with no other Lego's, but I think it is really good to have motors and sensors for both. You could perhaps get one kit now, and then if there is enough interest, you could get another off eBay later. If you get one off eBay, you can usually save a significant amount. Also, look into the 1.0 set (as a second). The sensors and parts selection is different, and you can get it for <$200. The NXT bricks are the same, and both can be used with the 2.0 software.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
doc222

Post by doc222 »

Gettiing into robotics is never cheap. Lego Nxt is the lowest cost of all ways to get started and have such an easy and flexible system. One way that you may spead the cost a bit and have more parts. Buy a NXT kit and a large Technic Kit. If you have Lego about the house now this can used as well to bolster your parts department up. If your kids have alot of Lego already then you wont need the extra Tecknic kit.

I would not get two NXT kits right off the start. Wait to see if this is something they will like. Unless the kids are fairly adapt at PC and basic visual programing, you will need to be hands on I think to get them started. Unless they have built with Lego before even building will have a learning curve.

Lego NXT and Technic is one of the best ways to have chindren learn design, experimentation, cognitive thinking and have fun. I think and over the years it seems that children that build with Lego and NXT(robotics) are smarter have better skills with there hands and brains. Lego builds on Imagination and dreams. These are all about as priceless as it gets when we think about education. The later I think more over,Imagination.

PS.
If you get a NXT/Technic kit. You will need batteries that are reusable. I like the Nicad way since they can be used in other things as well. One set is charging while the other is in use, the fun never ends.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein

"Lose your dreams and lose your mind"
The Rolling Stones

Doc
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein
aagruntpuddock

Post by aagruntpuddock »

Ebay is the place for NXT kits, many items there which have been used only once or twice then discarded as 'too difficult'.
Unfortunately, at this time of year, prices are very high.
If you can wait until after Xmas, and are patient, you can pick up a complete set for around £110 as I did. I then bought another for £80. Got a spare brick for about £50 as well. (Didn't really need it but it was so cheap I couldn't resist it at that price!) Ended up with so much NXT & Mindstorms stuff cheap that I ended up giving 1 NXT set and 1 Mindstorms set to my niece for her children to play with.
Don't be fooled by the new Lego 2 set, the brick internals are the same. You can download the latest firmware free from the Lego website. The only difference in the kits is the addition of one or two parts which you can buy separately if you really need them.
Plenty of extra parts available on ebay as well, just watch the prices. I think many people buy kits just to sell the parts!
When you build models, try to make the brick and motors 'plugged on' to the outside if possible. That way you can swap them between models more easily. When I built a gear train for one project, I buried the motor inside a pile of beams and it was unusable without completely dismantling the gears. In later versions the motor is just pushed onto an axle and held by one pin to stop it rotating. If I need it elsewhere, I can just pull it off.
kanekonorth

Post by kanekonorth »

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I have looked at the ebay route, but you're right - prices before Xmas are not too attractive - I'll keep checking after Xmas. I'll likely get the 2.0 + Technic or 1.0 kit, that's an excellent idea (plus rechargeable batteries, absolutely!) Thanks, and we'll see you on the boards for our first projects!
dad-and-adam

Post by dad-and-adam »

Hi kanekonorth.
I agree it's best to start with one NXT set and add to that as needed.
When it comes to sharing, it might work better if both children work together on single projects instead of each doing their own. It could cultivate a spirit of cooperation instead of competitiveness.
There are two major aspects to every NXT project -building and programming. When we got strated with NXT, I would do most of the building and my son (Adam) would do most of the programming. Over the years he has lost interest, so now I have the NXT all to myself. I should probably change my user name to just "dad".

Dave (the dad in dad-and-adam)