Is the Light Sensor Necessary?

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
healthyfatboy

Is the Light Sensor Necessary?

Post by healthyfatboy »

I'm getting ready to buy a set of parts for my robot and I have the choice of a sound sensor, light sensor, or no sensor at a slight discount. I currently have the NXT 2.0 and purchased a sound sensor separately and wanted to know how necessary a light sensor would be. I know the color sensor can do most of what the light sensor does but is a little more limited in that you can't calibrate it and the raw data values are not as good of a resolution as the original light sensor. Any reason I should get the sensor or should I just save the $15?
Thanks.
mattallen37

Re: Is the Light Sensor Necessary?

Post by mattallen37 »

I rarely use my light sensors, but they can be useful. I can get light sensors for <$15 (probably $12 or less with shipping), so I would just go for the savings, and later buy the sensor if I needed it. Depending on how much a light sensor would cost you in the future, it might be a good idea to get it for $15, but it really depends on what you plan to build with the NXT stuff.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
sparramc

Re: Is the Light Sensor Necessary?

Post by sparramc »

I suggest a Hitechnic NXT Color Sensor V2 (NCO1038) which will give you far more flexibility than a standard light Sensor.

It would be worth you visiting Brickule's BrickLink Store before committing yourself. Katarina is very helpful and the NXT stuff is excellent, even though it's second hand. I've purchase 3x NXT & Batteries, plus 15x NXT Motors as well as many other NXT parts and I extremely happy with my goods.
regards

Ray McNamara

www.rjmcnamara.com

'The Universe Consists of 1% Hydrogen, & the Rest is Ignorance!'