nxt 3.0?

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
h-g-t

Re: nxt 3.0?

Post by h-g-t »

"you may have difficulty with the NXT software if you're running a 64-bit Windows 7" - no problems on my computer.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

h-g-t wrote:"you may have difficulty with the NXT software if you're running a 64-bit Windows 7" - no problems on my computer.
I've only used it on 64-bit machines. No problems, apart from those inherent to NXT-G.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

circuitmage wrote:Since "3" is in the name and it's widely accepted as the third iteration, I don't believe its a misnomer.
It's the third iteration of MINDSTORMS, not of the NXT.

RCX -> 1
NXT -> 2
EV3 -> 3

That's why it has a three in it, because it's the third generation of MINDSTORMS, not the third NXT set.
Calling the EV3 the NXT 3.0 is like calling NXT 1.0 the RCX 3.0.

h-g-t wrote:"you may have difficulty with the NXT software if you're running a 64-bit Windows 7" - no problems on my computer.
Odd. Sorry if I phrased it wrong. I don't actually have problems with running or installing NXT-G, but rather getting the computer to communicate with my NXT connected via USB.
inxt-generation wrote:I've only used it on 64-bit machines. No problems, apart from those inherent to NXT-G.
Then I wonder why I'm having trouble and you aren't, even when I did this.
-Hayden
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

Have you updated the fantom driver?

http://us.mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/sup ... river.aspx
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

haydenstudios wrote:
Odd. Sorry if I phrased it wrong. I don't actually have problems with running or installing NXT-G, but rather getting the computer to communicate with my NXT connected via USB.
inxt-generation wrote:I've only used it on 64-bit machines. No problems, apart from those inherent to NXT-G.
Then I wonder why I'm having trouble and you aren't, even when I did this.
Nope. I've never had trouble getting it to communicate, be it USB or BlueTooth, x86 or x64, RobotC, NXT-G, BricxCC...
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

h-g-t wrote:Have you updated the fantom driver?

http://us.mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/sup ... river.aspx
Yep, and a version later than the one you linked to.

inxt-generation wrote:I've never had trouble getting it to communicate, be it USB or BlueTooth, x86 or x64, RobotC, NXT-G, BricxCC...
Well, not sure what I could be doing wrong then.

Doing it on my virtual machine doesn't bother me too much though.
-Hayden
circuitmage

Post by circuitmage »

As you pointed out, rcx is not considered nxt. And since there were 2 releases of nxt and ev3 is nxt compatible it would also be logical to consider it as nxt 3.0 .

But, alas, I see your point but cannot help to think this discussion is splitting hairs.Cannot it go both ways?

Or is there a movement in the community that refuses to accept or acknowledged any more development in the nxt world? If I had to compare, I'd say they look very similar.
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

circuitmage wrote:But, alas, I see your point but cannot help to think this discussion is splitting hairs.Cannot it go both ways?
No, it can't, it's not the same thing, it's like calling blue orange because they're both colours. As for compatibility, the NXT was backwards compatible with the RCX with motors and sensors, but I am pretty sure nobody ever mistook the NXT for the RCX. The new brick has a very different look on and has a completely different processor inside, as well as a completely different firmware/OS.
Or is there a movement in the community that refuses to accept or acknowledged any more development in the nxt world? If I had to compare, I'd say they look very similar.
Yeah, they're all brick-shaped, but so was the RCX, as is the network switch on my desk.

= Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

circuitmage wrote:As you pointed out, rcx is not considered nxt. And since there were 2 releases of nxt and ev3 is nxt compatible it would also be logical to consider it as nxt 3.0 .

But, alas, I see your point but cannot help to think this discussion is splitting hairs.Cannot it go both ways?

If you call the EV3 "NXT 3.0" then you might as well call the mindstorms sets: "RCX 1.0", "RCX 1.5", "RCX 2.0", "RCX 3.0" (NXT 1.0), "RCX 4.0"(NXT 2.0), and "RCX 5.0"(EV3).

The EV3 and NXT are very different. Cosmetically they may be similar, but functionally they are two totally different devices (or systems). IMO it's ridiculous to call the EV3 "NXT 3.0".

Edit: ninja'd by Xander.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
circuitmage

Post by circuitmage »

*double facepalm*

There was actually an RCX 1.5 and 2.0, which proves my point even more.

For convenience, I think I will call it nxt 3.0.

Also, I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm simply trying to point out the obvious. Though the designer or marketing may have attempted to differentiate the new set by calling it Ev3 ....or whatever they want to name it. Cosmetically , functionally and even the models make it similar in nature.

So the site Admin comments appear very confrontational and don't encourage commenting here.