LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Pre-order Now!

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
sparramc

LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Pre-order Now!

Post by sparramc »

I just visited the LEGO Education website and found the LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 kit and parts on sale for PRE-ORDER.

EV3 Core Set from: $339.95

This core set is optimized for classroom use and contains all you need to teach using LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Education EV3. It enables students to build, program, and test their solutions based on real-life robotics technology. It contains the EV3 Intelligent Brick, a powerful small computer that makes it possible to control motors and collect sensor feedback. It also enables Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi communication as well as provides programming and data logging. Students are encouraged to brainstorm in order to find creative solutions to problems and then develop them through a process of selecting, building, testing, and evaluating. This is also an excellent way of getting students to talk to each other and cooperate as well as giving them hands-on experience with an array of sensors, motors, and intelligent units. Printed building instructions for the Robot Educator model are included in the set, and instructions for four additional models are included in the software. The set also comes in a sturdy plastic storage bin with a sorting tray for easy classroom use and organization. Software sold separately.

The set includes:

Three interactive servo motors with built-in rotation sensors
Color sensor, gyro sensor, ultrasonic sensor, and two touch sensors
Rechargeable battery and charger
Ball wheel
Connecting cables
Building instructions
LEGO Technic building bricks for creating a vast variety of models

Key Learning Values:

Design and build programmable robots using motors, sensors, gears, wheels and axles, and other technical components
Understand and interpret two-dimensional drawings to create three-dimensional models
Build, test, troubleshoot, and revise designs to improve robot performance
Gain practical, hands-on experience using mathematical concepts such as estimating and measuring distance, time, and speed
Communicate effectively using scientific and technical language
regards

Ray McNamara

www.rjmcnamara.com

'The Universe Consists of 1% Hydrogen, & the Rest is Ignorance!'
inxt-generation

Re: LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Pre-order Now!

Post by inxt-generation »

Software sold seperately? I thought it was free? Or is it the education version that you have to pay for?
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

Thought the motors might be more powerful but they seem to be the the same bits in a new case.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

inxt-generation wrote:Software sold seperately? I thought it was free? Or is it the education version that you have to pay for?
The education software includes datalogging and some other stuff. The retail set will come with free software.

= Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
hergipotter

Post by hergipotter »

mightor wrote:
inxt-generation wrote:Software sold seperately? I thought it was free? Or is it the education version that you have to pay for?
The education software includes datalogging and some other stuff. The retail set will come with free software.

= Xander
So I can't programm my robots built from the education set unless I buy the extra software??
link to my youtube channel under my avatar!
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

I am not 100% sure, tbh. I don't know if the new Retail software will be freely available. If that were the case then it wouldn't be an issue, except maybe a license/ethical one.

= Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

The compelling part of this is the rechargeable battery and gyro sensor in a set that is slightly cheaper than the commercial EV3's MSRP.
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."
hergipotter

Post by hergipotter »

jwiger wrote:The compelling part of this is the rechargeable battery and gyro sensor in a set that is slightly cheaper than the commercial EV3's MSRP.
Yes, that's why I'd tend to the educational set, too.
link to my youtube channel under my avatar!
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

hergipotter wrote:
jwiger wrote:The compelling part of this is the rechargeable battery and gyro sensor in a set that is slightly cheaper than the commercial EV3's MSRP.
Yes, that's why I'd tend to the educational set, too.
Me three.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
cpapple123

Post by cpapple123 »

My big choice will be when this Parts Inventory Comparison of NXT sets 8527, 8547, 9797, and 9648 list gets populated with the EV3 parts and Educational kits. I have one of each of the kits now. If your parts colections already contains heaps of bits and your only after the brains then most definitely be the way to go. I bet if you want to build with this kit alone and have all the bits then you will also need to buy the EV3 Expansion Set for $99.95. Now we have $439.9 into it. Try subtracting $59.95 and $29.95 see what you get. "$350." Clever isn't it? might still be the better way to go as long as the new and improved software is also released as a free download specially for NXT users.
Image . + .Image. = . :P