LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Announced

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
inxt-generation

Re: LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Announced

Post by inxt-generation »

Yeah, how much extra could a integrated gyro/acceleometer possibly cost? Or Wi-Fi? I mean, seriously, even my MP3 player has Wi-Fi! I'd much rather use my USB port for something else besides Wi-Fi. Maybe It'll support a USB-hub?

But those are the only complaints I have!! Besides the price, of course. $350 is a lot :?
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

afanofosc wrote:
tabbycatrobots wrote:Regarding the new EV3, I read it has an ARM9 processor. How does this compare in program
execution speed to the current NXT? E.G., can it run 4 tasks, monitoring sensors, at the speed
as the current NXT runs 2, i.e. monitoring 4 sensors at the same frequency as the NXT running
NXC, monitors 2? Thanks for any ideas.
It doesn't look like these kind of details have been released by LEGO yet. It will probably be closer to launch before we know for sure. But if it is running Linux on an ARM9 at 300mhz with 64mb RAM and 16mb flash with support for a micro SD card and USB peripherals then it sounds like we can do some pretty awesome things with it.

John Hansen
Hmm. I am a little ambivalent about this right now. It is exciting that NXT is finally being updated.
ARM9 is good in the sense that it should be pretty much backward compatible with the ARM7 core in the current NXT brick.
Linux is good in the sense that it would allow for much greater flexibility for hacking, etc.

But this also means that all the course materials that I've been working on is now outdated even before I get to use it for my class next semester. Sigh.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Just because something new and better is coming out, it doesn't mean the NXT is outdated and useless. Lego Education said they will continue to support the NXT through 2015, and even after that, I think it will still be going strong. NXT is still a great system, and it will be a while before it's gone.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
inxt-generation

mattallen37 wrote:Just because something new and better is coming out, it doesn't mean the NXT is outdated and useless. Lego Education said they will continue to support the NXT through 2015, and even after that, I think it will still be going strong. NXT is still a great system, and it will be a while before it's gone.
Of course! Hey, I still use the RCX!
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
circuitmage

Post by circuitmage »

inxt-generation wrote: Of course! Hey, I still use the RCX!
Says it will be NXT compatible...but does not say anything about RCX from what I've read and seen...don't see why it couldn't support RCX devices...
inxt-generation

circuitmage wrote:
inxt-generation wrote: Of course! Hey, I still use the RCX!
Says it will be NXT compatible...but does not say anything about RCX from what I've read and seen...don't see why it couldn't support RCX devices...
My point was that even the oldest system is still useful.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

The RCX motors, touch sensors, and temp sensors should work just fine. For the light and rotation sensors it would need special functionality (which it should have, considering the NXT Ultrasonic sensor is supposed to work).
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

mattallen37 wrote:Just because something new and better is coming out, it doesn't mean the NXT is outdated and useless. Lego Education said they will continue to support the NXT through 2015, and even after that, I think it will still be going strong. NXT is still a great system, and it will be a while before it's gone.
Thanks, I just saw a link in one of the comments on Xander's blog which talks about this:

http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/misc/co ... w2_jan2013
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

schodet wrote:...and whether a new motor can be connected to an old NXT.
I don't know, I have not tried, but it's probably not something LEGO would really support :)

= Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

mightor wrote:
schodet wrote:...and whether a new motor can be connected to an old NXT.
I don't know, I have not tried, but it's probably not something LEGO would really support :)

= Xander
Given that the cables are the same, I'm 99% sure it will work. It it wouldn't work, LEGO would have made a different cable, because kids (and us adults) are going to try it. And LEGO is NOT the kind of company to say "I'm sorry, you broke it. Too bad."

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->