Seemingly simple project question

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
blurij

Seemingly simple project question

Post by blurij »

Hello,
I get the feeling this is a very technological forum, and I know my question will seem simplistic. My apologies, but I have had great difficulty in trying to find out what components of Mindstorm would help me complete the following project. I cannot find any Mindstorm forums other than yours. If there is one more suitable to my question please let me know.

I presently do not own any Mindstorm sets. I want to make something similar to this crossbow project: http://robotfilia.blogspot.com/
However, I do not want to shoot a projectile. I just want the 'robot' to very slowly raise and lower a string - up and down - that is all.
I have a young son, and he has a toy acrobat bear that rides and balances on a string running across his room. We can make the bear glide back and forth by lowering and raising the string,
but I would like to have a 'robot motor' move the string up and down a track like the one in the crossbow. I would attach the track to one wall, attach the string, and then program the 'robot' to raise and lower that string. The balancing bear is very light - perhaps half a kilo or less in weight.

Which Mindstorm set or which Mindstorm motors would I need to complete such a project ? Which one do you think was used in the crossbow project?

Thank you very much. Heel hartelijk bedankt ( I've been to Rotterdam a couple of times. I always enjoy being in the Nederlands.)
cpapple123

Re: Seemingly simple project question

Post by cpapple123 »

The great thing is Mindstorms was created for a large range of technical ability. Once you get your first kit, build your first project using the Lego Software (NXT-G) you will find it not so difficult. The "Techies" like to push it to the limits and the great thing is the limits are not very restrictive. I only have the NXT 2.0 set and this would most definitely do what you want. The Technic kits may have the correct parts to build a project you want but will not the the smarts. I could not find the crossbow project you referred to but have seen some youtube video on them. Crossbow. You can see the robot pull back the line, latch the line back, then reset before releasing. You would simply need to remove the latch and wined in and out the line a program distance.

Start the adventure with your first 2.0 set
blurij

Post by blurij »

Nxt 2.0 it is then. Thank you for taking the time to respond and helping me out.
cpapple123

Post by cpapple123 »

Be sure to share your project when complete.