New to NXT - compatibility question

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
dougwalton

New to NXT - compatibility question

Post by dougwalton »

Hi everyone - I'm getting started with an NXT 2.0 set, and was wondering about something.

A number of years back, I bought my wife (who is also a software developer) the Mindstorms Robotics Invention System 2.0, along with the Ultimate Builders Set and Vision Command (three boxes of "stuff" total). Surprisingly (for me anyway), the Mindstorms thing didn't "take" with her, and the gear has been sitting idle ever since.

Now that I'll be receiving a new NXT 2.0 set, how much of these older sets are compatible with NXT 2.0? I'd assume that all of the software and the computer and sensors might be obsolete - true? What about the construction elements - are they the same as those used with NXT 2.0 now?

Also, I'm planning to get at least one of Laurens Valks' books - not sure which one first, or if I should get both.

Thanks for your help, and any additional advice you might have for someone starting out that might save me headaches and hassle. I'll be using my Windows 7 desktop machine, and maybe my Windows 7 laptop.

Cheers!
Doug (Michigan)
mattallen37

Re: New to NXT - compatibility question

Post by mattallen37 »

Hello Doug, and welcome to the Mindboards forums!

The RIS sets used studded technic parts, and the NXT sets use studless technic parts. Both types of beams play nicely together, and all gears, pins, axles, bushings etc. are identical (i.e. they are compatible, not necessarily to say that the NXT sets includes the same parts or quantities as the RIS sets).

All RCX sensors and motors are 100% compatible with the NXT, but you will need a converter cable (costs $10 for a pack of 3).

If you want to make the NXT and RCX talk together, then you will need an IR Link (costs $55). Note however, that communication is very slow, and not ideal for real-time control.

Just a suggestion, but I highly recommend you program the NXT using Not eXactly C (NXC, which is based on the C programming language). It's much more flexible than the retail NXT-G programming language. The NXC firmware (basically the OS that the NXT runs) is 100% backwards compatible with NXT-G, so you can use either programming language without needing to change FW. The easiest way to use NXC, is to install the BricxCC IDE (which includes the NXC and NBC compilers, and takes care of all the dirty work of compiler linking etc.).
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
dougwalton

Post by dougwalton »

Thanks, doc-helmut! It does help.

And thanks, Matt! I'll look into NXC - I've got a couple of decades of C/C++/C# so that sounds fine. I also ran across the Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio, which at least sounds interesting, since I like C# these days. But I have no idea as to how well the MS IDE actually works with NXT 2.0. I'll look into that, and I'll definitely grab BricxCC.

Thanks again,
Doug
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

MS RDS is just for remote-controlled "robots" (acually then the NXT is just a "stupid" interface), not for autonomous robots- NQC/NXC are working for both!
dougwalton

Post by dougwalton »

Perfect - thanks for that clarification.
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

Prefect.
inxt-generation

Post by inxt-generation »

doc-helmut wrote:Prefect.
I don't think he was referring to your name, Doc. Here in the US, we say "perfect" to signify that that's what we wanted. So, it translates to "That is exactly what I wanted (perfect), thank you for the clarification." .
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
dimasterooo

Post by dimasterooo »

inxt-generation wrote:
doc-helmut wrote:Prefect.
I don't think he was referring to your name, Doc. Here in the US, we say "perfect" to signify that that's what we wanted. So, it translates to "That is exactly what I wanted (perfect), thank you for the clarification." .
Maybe he was just being punny :3
- Leon Overweel (aka. dimastero/ dimasterooo)

My blog: http://www.leonoverweel.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LayOn_OverWhale
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

actually it was just a - silly - subtle joke
ps
now I understand: punny (was not school-English) - from pun - correct...