issues with nxt-g ide

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
walduss

issues with nxt-g ide

Post by walduss »

Hi,

I have receive my mindstorm kit one week ago. I am trying to learn nxt-g during this week but I have found some dificulties.

1st, I dont really know how delete a wire.
2nd, some times I get an error. "There is a data wire that does not have a data source."
but I dont find it. I delete some blocks one by one until error disapears, and later repeat all the job....... this is not a good solution.
3nd, sometimes when I copy /paste a group of block, a beam appears in the middle os screen (this bean is not connected to any other beam. I dont know how delete it.

I have the release v2.0.f4. is this the last one???

note I am usin Win7 64bits

I want to use nxt-g, because I am teaching my daughter, so, could you hlp me? .......any information is wellcome.

thanks in advance.
inxt-generation

Re: issues with nxt-g ide

Post by inxt-generation »

NXT-G is really buggy, so expect errors.

1. To delete a wire, simply select it, and press the "delete" button on your keyboard.
2. This is probably caused by having a wire go into a block, but without plugging into a output. I'm not sure what to do about that. This tool might help. The instructions to install it are here.
3.This is one of the bugs I was talking about. AFAIK, there's no way around this. Just try to go slow and let the editor catch up.

NXT-G is good for beginners, but as you get more experienced you will quickly hit the limits of what it can do.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

I struggled on with NXT-G because I thought the alternatives were too complicated.

Very surprised to find that NXC was actually simpler to use, as well as more powerful and easier to modify!
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
walduss

Post by walduss »

Thanks for your comments..
inxt-generation wrote:NXT-G is really buggy, so expect errors.

1. To delete a wire, simply select it, and press the "delete" button on your keyboard.
2. This is probably caused by having a wire go into a block, but without plugging into a output. I'm not sure what to do about that. This tool might help. The instructions to install it are here.
3.This is one of the bugs I was talking about. AFAIK, there's no way around this. Just try to go slow and let the editor catch up.

NXT-G is good for beginners, but as you get more experienced you will quickly hit the limits of what it can do.
1. It was the first thing that I did, but I had no success. Perhaps it is because it is not clear when the wired is selected.

2. I will check RemoveBadWires tool. For sure this tool must be included in the original software.

3. I will look for more info about this bug in this forum. Thanks

h-g-t wrote:I struggled on with NXT-G because I thought the alternatives were too complicated.

Very surprised to find that NXC was actually simpler to use, as well as more powerful and easier to modify!
By the time been I want to learn nxt-g to teach my daugther, ... But In the future I will try other languages perhaps NXC will be the next one.

Thanks
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

If you click on a block's drawer INPUT that has a wire connected to it, the wire will be deleted.

Using the mouse, you can create a box around a wire or a beam (that gets left after pasting blocks). That will select the wire/beam. Then, you can just hit delete.

To create the box, just click and drag the mouse. You should see the box appear as you drag. It will select everything that is even partially in the box. That means if you select part of a block and hit delete, it will delete the block.

Tip: you can also use the mouse-drag to scroll the screen, but dragging the mouse to the edge of the screen...

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
walduss

Post by walduss »

hassenplug wrote:If you click on a block's drawer INPUT that has a wire connected to it, the wire will be deleted.

Using the mouse, you can create a box around a wire or a beam (that gets left after pasting blocks). That will select the wire/beam. Then, you can just hit delete.

To create the box, just click and drag the mouse. You should see the box appear as you drag. It will select everything that is even partially in the box. That means if you select part of a block and hit delete, it will delete the block.

Tip: you can also use the mouse-drag to scroll the screen, but dragging the mouse to the edge of the screen...

Steve

Good tips. Today it has been easier workng with the NXT-G environtment. These tips help me a lot.

Thanks