can labview be used with the EV3 brick??

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
shn89

can labview be used with the EV3 brick??

Post by shn89 »

Hey ladies and gents!

I'm fairly new to the Lego mindstorm and was looking for a bit of help with the programming side of things..
I'm using the Lego mindstorm EV3 brick to control a miniature CNC 3 axis milling machine for college where I have 2 large motors and a medium motor controlling driving my axes that are all moved with linear actuators (THKKr20's), the motors can drive them no problem as there is little to no load on them but I was looking to know if its possible to use the actual labview software itself to program the motors with the EV3 brick as the ev3 software itself is far too basic and I would like to build a perspects box around the miniature CNC and have a limit switch on the lid and a kill switch on the outside of the box for safety reasons but am unsure of how I would go about.

If anyone could add anything to this I would greatly appreciate it!!

thanks in advance,

Shane
dlech27

Re: can labview be used with the EV3 brick??

Post by dlech27 »

For a kill switch, I would hook up a power supply directly to the EV3 instead of using a battery. Then turning off the power supply will kill everything.
HaWe

Re: can labview be used with the EV3 brick??

Post by HaWe »

not always -
some i2c devices have an external power supply. if they happen to be motor controllers/muxers then the motors still keep on running while the brick is already shut down.
Only a seperate continuous task which questions a emergency btn press can reset all devices and ports and then kill all threads.