LEGO Distance Sensors Testing

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
inxt-generation

LEGO Distance Sensors Testing

Post by inxt-generation »

I've been testing the various LEGO-made distance sensors for their accuracy in different situations. I have some preliminary results, which can be seen here: [LINK]

The readings were taken starting 168Cm away from a LEGO box. It would take 10 readings over 1 second, average them, and then move forwards another centimeter. Apparently, I need to find a longer space, as under those conditions the US sensors seem to work nearly perfectly. i.e. I want to see the absolute limits, under the perfect conditions.

The IR sensor seems much less accurate. It could be my lighting, as I have fluorescent, but idk how much these interfere with IR. I'll have to do more testing before drawing anything conclusive.

For those who want to see the data I have so far, here.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
philoo

Re: LEGO Distance Sensors Testing

Post by philoo »

Very interesting, it's a test I intended to do at some time, thanks for avoiding me the work ;)
The IR sensor is not supposed to return a distance, but an indication that an object is in front and if it's getting closer or further. It returns a "percentage" value that depends on reflected light, of course this also depends on reflectivity of target. The fact that two different targets gives somewhat similar results is great...
My own quick, non formal tests indicated that IR sensor, though not providing true distance, is much more reliable at finding objects. Try the US sensor on a soft object (eg. fabric), or turn the box 45° from sensor direction...
Philo
inxt-generation

Re: LEGO Distance Sensors Testing

Post by inxt-generation »

Ok, thanks. In that case, the IR results make more sense.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"