NXT vs RCX software

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
mcsummation

NXT vs RCX software

Post by mcsummation »

A question has come up from the "school interface" person for a group of FLL (FIRST Lego League) teams that we are forming: "Will the NXT software work with the RCX block or are we going to have both installed on the computers"? I believe the software is different, but I turn to the experts here for a definitive answer. (I have not worked with RCX, so don't know. We have both NXT and RCX sets available for the teams to use.)
inxt-generation

Re: NXT vs RCX software

Post by inxt-generation »

Yes, they are most definitely different. You'll need a different software for both unless you plan on using BricxCC or an older version of RobotC. Be aware, you won't be able to use a USB tower with a 64-bit OS, only 32-bit. I've heard that some people have had success using a serial-USB adapter with the serial tower on a 64-bit system. Also you'll have trouble getting the RCX Code software to work on anything higher than Windows XP, or maybe Vista. Others'd have to answer that, as I quit the LEGO-supplied enviroments a long time ago, so haven't needed to use them on my newer PCs.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"