Well...

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
nxtboy

Well...

Post by nxtboy »

I guess it's the end of an era. Farewell, NXTasy.org

Thanks so much for making a replacement, guys.

Is NXTasy completely written off, or is the intent to get hold of Eric Salinas, and renew the domain?
mightor
Site Admin

Re: Well...

Post by mightor »

Hey NXTboy,

Eric isn't responding to emails. Aplus won't tell us what happened because we're not the owner, Eric is. The domain has not expired, so that's not the problem.

- xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

I think that some of us still hope we can gain access to the nxtasy content and somehow make it available on this new site but that may be next to impossible. Probably easier to build the knowledge base back up again from scratch. There's a ton of stuff we wish we could have back but probably 10 times a ton of stuff we definitely don't want or need. If we get most or all of the nxtasy users participating here then before long all the important questions and answers will be here.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
nxtboy

Post by nxtboy »

"all the important questions and answers will be here" - Well hold on, if the primary use of this forum will be questions and answers, would it not make sense to put them on a StackExchange site instead?
linmix

Post by linmix »

I see StackExchange as a nice place to post questions for general application and with a direct answer. Maybe some of the questions that are answered here deserve being "repeated" on StackExchange, but there are many more things to be aske and explained here.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

I definitely plan on supporting the stackexchange page but as far as I can tell there's not much I can do now except wait for it to be activated. These boards are about the LEGO MINDSTORMS community and part of that is answering questions that get asked by members of the community. But it's not only about questions and answers.

EDIT: It turns out I had not actually committed yet. I thought it said I was already committed last time I was there. Nxtboy, I recommend a thread about the stackexchange page in the Open Discussion forum like we had on the old nxtasy forums. It sounds like a lot more people need to commit before it will be ready to use.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
myrotfl

Post by myrotfl »

I went to the stackexchange page and I really don't understand how it will be used as a repository for questions and answers.

What method will be used to search the site for answers to specific questions?

The Stackexcahnge concept it a new one to me.

Can someone point me to a description on intent and usage of sites like the Area51 stackexchange site?

Thanks,

Andy D
If life gives you LEGO®, build ROBOTS!
myrotfl

Post by myrotfl »

afanofosc wrote:I think that some of us still hope we can gain access to the nxtasy content and somehow make it available on this new site but that may be next to impossible. Probably easier to build the knowledge base back up again from scratch. There's a ton of stuff we wish we could have back but probably 10 times a ton of stuff we definitely don't want or need. If we get most or all of the nxtasy users participating here then before long all the important questions and answers will be here.

John Hansen
That 10 times a ton of stuff that is unwanted our unneeded until someone does a search and it shows up. I miss all the NXTasy content, even some of the stranger off-topic posts frequently lead to some interesting/useful content.

At least of as much importance (maybe more) is the repository that was in the NXTasy BLOG. I really, hope the content that was there can be recovered and made available somewhere.

I feel that all the content lost is a big loss to the NXT/Mindstorms/LEGO community.

One consolation is that as many times as the same questions were asked and either answered or pointed to the appropriate thread, maybe it won't be long before all those questions are asked again.

Andy D
If life gives you LEGO®, build ROBOTS!
nxtboy

Post by nxtboy »

afanofosc wrote: Nxtboy, I recommend a thread about the stackexchange page in the Open Discussion forum like we had on the old nxtasy forums. It sounds like a lot more people need to commit before it will be ready to use.
You don't have a cached copy of that, do you?

Also, would you be happy to pin such a thread, when I get around to rewriting it?