NXT 2 brick and #99498c01 PF Servo Motor

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
davejo90

NXT 2 brick and #99498c01 PF Servo Motor

Post by davejo90 »

Hi,

I cannot get the (#99498c01 PF Servo Motor) click to see motor, using an adapter cable as seen here, to work with my NXT2 brick.

I can get it to work correctly with the IR adapter and with the rechargeable power pack and it will go up in its 7 incremental stages as it's meant to, but when I program a block to operate the motor by 100% or in fact any setting at all the motor will not function, it wont even work using the remote function in the NXT program. All other PF motors work fine with the brick.

The adaptor cables are cut and reconnected using only the black and white cables from the NXT2 cable connected to the 2 middle cables of the PF cable.

Does anyone know if there should be a connection to the 2 outer wires using the Yellow and Blue of the NXT2 cable so it would work correctly, or if that's not the case is it even possible to use the NXT 2 brick with that motor?

Another couple of bits of info if it helps.

1. I am using the 'Move' block in the NXT program. (I have tried all possible settings in this block)
2. I can get all other motors to work with the brick with no problems.
3. I am using a rechargable pack for the NXT 2 brick.

Regards

Dave

PS: In case you wondering, the reason I'm asking is because the PF servo motor is a lot smaller than the NXT2 servo motor meaning its easier to build around and takes up less room when using it in small vehicles.
mattallen37

Re: NXT 2 brick and #99498c01 PF Servo Motor

Post by mattallen37 »

As seen in the page you first linked to, the white and black (pins 1 and 2) of the NXT motor port need to connect to C1 and C2, to provide the signal to the motor. The PF Servo requires 9v on the supply pins (0V and 9V) to provide the power to the motor.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
davejo90

Post by davejo90 »

mattallen37 wrote:As seen in the page you first linked to, the white and black (pins 1 and 2) of the NXT motor port need to connect to C1 and C2, to provide the signal to the motor. The PF Servo requires 9v on the supply pins (0V and 9V) to provide the power to the motor.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

Does that means that if I create another cable in the way you say with 'white & black' to 'C1 & C2' as you say, that it would only be able to be used with this servo motor?

I'm only asking so that I ensure I make it clear to myself and mark the cable so I know it's different.

regards

Dave
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

NXT motor pins 1 and 2 are normally connected directly to whatever DC motor you are controlling, be it an NXT motor, an RCX motor (with adapter cable), or a PF motor (with adapter cables). However, the PF Servo motor requires a constant 9V, as well as PWM "signal" lines.

Using the connector pinout shown here as a reference, "0V" and "9V" need a constant 9v (such as from a PF battery box, for example). "C1" and "C2" need to be connected to NXT motor port pins 1 and 2, so that the NXT can control the position of the servo.

If after you get that working, you'd like to simplify the connections, I can think of a way that should only need an NXT motor port connection (but it'd require some diodes and a capacitor, and it could only be used on motor port A of the NXT).
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
davejo90

Post by davejo90 »

Thanks again for the reply Matt.

I'll try that out later in the week and let you know how I got on.

Dave