New project, HELP needed

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
arty3381

New project, HELP needed

Post by arty3381 »

We are in our final year at uni and we have a group project where we must demonstrate the functionality and understanding of SAP MFS solution providing a visual and physical representation of the capabilities.

To do this we have to build a demo warehouse making use of the Mindstorms sensors.

The warehouse will be used to model a real scenario, so that stock can be added and removed from the warehouse storage.

The warehouse should be designed to allow put-away and retrieval of stock.

As a minimum the warehouse should consist of:

* 2 Aisles / Storage Racks. Each storage rack should contain 9 possible bin locations (giving 18 possible locations in total)

* 1 crane This should move on rails down the aisle and have the ability to pick from either the left or right tote storage

* 1 conveyor system

* Scales, these will pass or fail a tote coming into the warehouse

* RFID demonstration of the ability to read an RFID tagged tote

* Light switching (Red / Green) to indicate bin to be filled

* Light sensor / Touch sensor to record goods arriving at the bin

* 3 bricks

Could you please advise us on what exactly we need to purchase to accomplish this and help on USB connection and any other advice?
hassenplug

Re: New project, HELP needed

Post by hassenplug »

Sounds like a very interesting project.

I think if you work out more of the details, the exact parts list should become clear.

Should the two storage racks be accessible from both sides? Or are they simply facing each other?

What material will be stored in the containers?

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
h-g-t

Post by h-g-t »

There have been quite a few projects like this so it would probably be worthwhile googling 'lego warehouse, 'lego factory'. 'lego RFID' or similar terms.
A sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.
arty3381

Post by arty3381 »

Yeah they are being accessed from both ends. This is the exact layout and brief guys. I only ask really as we need specifics to justify the spend as it is very expensive equipment. Tried getting help from Lego and Lego Mindstorm but they didn't have a clue what I would need :lol:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... GZi71nnqxg
doc222

Post by doc222 »

When you have figured out about what you need in parts, your best source is going to be http://www.bricklink.com/index.asp. Bricklink has about every part ever made, though it may not be one stop shopping since it is a collective of shops. If you are paying for all of this project then yes it won't be cheep.

If you have worked with lego before it help greatly on the building of this. There are a few programs that are cad like that can help as well and even will make a parts list of the project as well. Though the program is a bit out of date too. http://www.ldraw.org.

Doc
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

I can't see the document you linked to.

I would suggest you post what you think is needed, and people here may be able to look at it, and see if it looks correct.

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
timpattinson

Post by timpattinson »

hassenplug wrote:I can't see the document you linked to.
He probably needs to make it public
Commit to Lego Mindstorms StackExchange Q&A http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/4105
Minboards IRC Channel #mindboards on Freenode
My blog: http://timpattinson.wordpress.com/
arty3381

Post by arty3381 »

Sorry guys here is the attached file that you couldn't view before. Thanks really appreciate it lol I'm glad I ain't having to pay for it, costs a small fortune :)
Last edited by arty3381 on 17 Oct 2011, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
linusa

Post by linusa »

This document contains information that is proprietary to
Rocket Consulting and must not be disclosed in whole
or in part to any third party
Hm? Are you sure you are allowed to post that PDF on this public forum?
Hardware requirements
Early on in the project it will be necessary to select the necessary Lego equipment and any other materials required for the construction of the model (Racking construction, Base for model etc). These decisions need to be made by the students and Rocket will the confirm their agreement before making any purchase.
I guess it's part of your task or "homework" to make this kind of decision yourself. The PDF you posted is very specific about the project. A challenge (and part of the skill you presumably should acquire) is to do this kind of planning and designing and estimating.

If you have specific questions about NXT details, you can ask them here, but don't expect a complete solution to your university project. I'm sure your advisors wouldn't appreciate that either.
RWTH - Mindstorms NXT Toolbox for MATLAB
state of the art in nxt remote control programming
http://www.mindstorms.rwth-aachen.de
MotorControl now also in Python, .net, and Mathematica
arty3381

Post by arty3381 »

Sorry was not my intention to look like i wanted my project done as you put it. just some advice on the partsneeded. also i should have previewed the pdf i was meant to post a cropped down version of it.