Mindsensors Lineleader is banned by RoboCup ?

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
creator1

Mindsensors Lineleader is banned by RoboCup ?

Post by creator1 »

Below is from http://www.rcjrescue.com/p/faq.html

Q: With reference to RCJ rescue A-rules, subparagraph 2.2.2, I´d like to ask you on your statement to the conctruction legitimacy of lineleader sensor applying in RCJ rescue competition. As you certainly know, the Lineleader sensor is a product of Mindsensors. This sensor is able to work in TrackLine and Calibrated mode. Meeting the goals of competition requires some software modifications of standard mode.

A: The Technical committee has decided to not allow this sensor in the RoboCup Junior RescueA division. The reason for doing so, is that it currently provides an 'out-of-the-box' solution to the problem of linefollowing, which is a fundamental part of the RescueA challenge. We wish to see students spend time learning about different linefollowing algorithms and hardware, and thus improve their low-level understanding of a fundamental Robotic concept as opposed to plugging in a sensor that does everything for them.

I personally do not agree with this. It is not an “out of the box” solution. Using the lineleader needs to know more than “low-level understanding of a fundamental Robotic concept”. Most people will use the raw data of the 8 light sensors to write their own line following program. The lineleader is good in size and save a lot of sensor ports for further creations. It is a pity if it was banned due to misunderstanding of it. It is a mesh if connecting 8 Lego light sensors to a NXT (the cost, the wires, the sensor ports, the size of the robot)
muntoo

Re: Mindsensors Lineleader is banned by RoboCup ?

Post by muntoo »

I agree. :)

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit