trouble setting up NXC

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
hackenextees

trouble setting up NXC

Post by hackenextees »

I'm new to Linux and newer to NXC and, i'm having trouble setting up NXC. I'm trying to move the nbc file to the usr/bin directory. When I try to do so the command line tells me either that there is no such file or directory, even though it's clearly in the downloads directory (the command line has already been changed to the Downloads directory, at this point.) i've already went to Rubyforkids and seen how they set it up, even watched the instructional video, my computer simply wont let me move nbc to usr/bin. I'd really like some help on completing the installation process and setup. Thank you.

hackenextees
afanofosc
Site Admin

Re: trouble setting up NXC

Post by afanofosc »

I am not at all familiar with ruby for kids. I gather from your post that it uses the NBC compiler?

If you have the right paths for the NBC binary and for the destination folder then it may be that the only problem is a security issue. If that is the problem you are having then sudo will make it possible to perform the copy operation.

sudo cp nbc /usr/bin

If the paths aren't right then it will be helpful to see the output of various commands on your Linux box. Could you ls -l nbc from the folder where you have extracted the binaries? If you have downloaded nbc from the NBC/NXC site then perhaps the binary is in a subfolder called NXT? I don't recall for certain, off hand. You might also verify that /usr/bin exists (which it certainly should). Is it possible that you didn't include the "/" at the start of the destination path (i.e., usr/bin vs /usr/bin).

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
hackenextees

Post by hackenextees »

It seems to have worked! Thank you very much for your input.

Hackenextees
hackenextees

Post by hackenextees »

Once again, I have a computer problem. Now that I've moved the compiler to usr/local/bin/ as per the instructions on the Internet, I try to run it on the command line, as per the instructions, I get Bash: cannot execute binary file. Also, I can't open the file with oracle java 7 web start, even though its a java file. All I get is error: could not parse launch file. Error line 0. Your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hackenextees