My programs, your NXT: because I don't have one :(

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
stryker001

Re: My programs, your NXT: because I don't have one :(

Post by stryker001 »

I'm not sure, but does it make sense to write programs if you can't debug them by your own (debugging and optimizing code actually often (if not always) takes more time than writing the "release 1.0")?
This is true. but at least my programs get debugged.

What benefit do you have (or get) if you write programs which you neither be able to test by yourself nor be able to use them if they finally have been successfully debugged?
Not much, other than what helumpago said.
My suggestion: buy a NXT brick by yourself (about EUR 150,00) - and have all the fun by yourself! ;)
Fantastic idea, but it's occurred to me more than a few times before. Virtual NXT is just what I do until I get one (By virtual I mean it's not mine). I think I just coined a term as well.
I would really suggest learning to program in C, just so that when you get your Mindstorms (yes, when, not if. We know you can do it!) transitioning from NXT-G to something like NXC or RobotC is easier. I really wish that I knew C, it'd make it so much easier to learn NXC. And, even if you don't start using NXC anytime soon it is still very useful to learn good programming practice so that your NXT-G programs are easier to test, modify and debug. My 2 cents worth.
Such help is worth far more than two cents, my friend. This is an excellent idea.
I'd be interested in helping you out. I've got NXT-G 1.1, and two NXTs running NXT-G compatable firmware. (I think one is Lego FW, and the other is NBC/NXC Enhanced)
Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
Thanks very much!
I am very interested by your idea
Please contact me.
- bazmati
Will do.

All in all, I have taken your advice and started a 'job' of sorts to earn money. My brother has agreed to pay me $10 a month to do his chores for him (he is very busy with college, his jobs, etc.). At that rate (and that the current costs), it will take me 30 months, or 2.5 years to save up for the NXT stuff I want (normal kit + a second light/color sensor). Of course, that's not counting tithes, savings, and one certain up coming conference that shares a similar name (purely coincidental). I think I'll raise the price to $15....
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Be sure to save up for the entire kit. You can always do graphics programming on your computer in full color, high speed, superior sound, etc. The NXT is mainly for robotics. ;)

Anyways, may want to look at online tutorials. I recommend learning C++.

You may want to get Microsoft [*Beethoven's 5th Symphony plays in background*] Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition: it's free. You can get it here or here.

Microsoft's being nice for once, so you may be able to reap the benefits of DreamSpark

Once you're done with C++, you can learn some DirectX by reading books like: Windows Game Programming For Dummies (I recommend it), Beginning Game Programming, and others. I find books easier than online tutorials.

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
sidneys1

Post by sidneys1 »

In RE to the above post, I personally would recommend Visual C# over C++, for two reasons: 1, it is a lot easier to learn, and 2, Microsoft's XNA studio, which allows you to program games for PC, Xbox, and Zune, only supports C#.

Beyond that, however, you could just go out and buy Crytek's Crysis, which will provide you with a free complimentary copy of their Sandbox 2 Editor, which will let you build mods and levels for the amazingly powerful Cryengine 2. (Or wait for Crysis2 and Sandbox3) If you do, hop over to CryMod.org, I'm known as Sidneys1 there as well.

Have a nice day,
~Sidneys1
My Mindstorms website: http://sidneys1.com
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Oh yeah, and don't forget Allegro!
But first thing's first: C++. ;) Besides, you can always learn C# later, and it will be easier, too, because you know C++.

bit.ly/MindstormsSE

stryker001

Post by stryker001 »

Thanks for the advice! I received similar suggestions (complete with links) over on the NXTasy forums, but I didn't think to bookmark them. I will definitely bookmark these before the Interwebz snatches them away. ;)

- Jordan
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

stryker001 wrote:Thanks for the advice! I received similar suggestions (complete with links) over on the NXTasy forums, but I didn't think to bookmark them. I will definitely bookmark these before the Interwebz snatches them away. ;)

- Jordan
Bookmark? A bookmark is basically a link (or something you put in a book *). Do you mean "archive"?

* I haven't used one for years, yet I've read more books ever since I stopped using bookmarks. BOOKMARKS ARE EVIL. They slowly suck away your memory...

bit.ly/MindstormsSE

stryker001

Post by stryker001 »

muntoo wrote:Bookmark? A bookmark is basically a link (or something you put in a book *). Do you mean "archive"?
No, I mean bookmark. I should have said something like "I saw the links in the post on NXTasy, clicked on them, read them, and thought, 'I should definitely come back to these sometime.' Then I moved on with life. Sadly, NXTasy died, and so all the posts with those links in them were now gone: I would never see them again, unless someone reposted them elsewhere. Thus, what I should have done, is bookmark the link while NXTasy was still around."

I hope that clears things up a bit. I'm definitely not the most eloquent speaker around here. :(
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

That wouldn't protect it from being lost. A bookmark is just saving a URL, but the website must still be hosted to benefit from a bookmark.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
stryker001

Post by stryker001 »

I understand that. However, NXTasy's going down didn't affect ]the website that I wanted]'s going down, so I could still have access to it if I had bookmarked it.

(In fact, I have an add-on for Mozilla Firefox that allows me to capture an entire page, plus any # of links deep I want.)

- Stryker
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Oh, I get what you mean.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)