NXT anniversary

Discuss anything and everything. Keep it clean (or else).
savedcoder

Re: NXT anniversary

Post by savedcoder »

Well, here's my story:

I have been playing with Legos all my life. My first set belonged to my Mom when she was a girl.

Unlike several users here, I learned computer programming first. I think I was eleven when I started. A year or two later (I think...), I attended an event where one of the activities was programming an RCX to do something. (I forget what.) I loved it! After that, I attended several other events where I worked with Lego robots, and I was hooked!

I decided that I wanted an NXT. So, after months (probably half a year or more) of saving my paper-route pay, I bought an NXT 1.0 on E Bay for $10 less than the retail price and free shipping. After what seemed like years, it finally arrived, and I raced up to my room to unpack it. I built Tribot later that day, then had to wait two days to program it, because my computer didn't have XP sp. 2. :lol: (Why is that even required?! :x )

As a programmer already, I was disappointed with NXT-G. It was slow, buggy and inefficient. It wasn't long before I was looking up NXC. I tried to write my next few programs in NXC, but (probably due to my mistakes) they didn't work very well. So I went back to NXT-G. Around this time, I had been thinking about combining my computer programming with the NXT. The headers for the fantom were in c(++) and I only used FreeBASIC, but I managed to make a FreeBASIC compatible one. After writing a few simple battery and sensor monitoring tools, I decided to write a complete replacement for the tools in NXT-G.

NeXT Commander was born. After a month or so of work, I reached the point where I didn't have the skills to continue. NeXT Commander was put on hold for a year. After that, with the skills I had learned working on some other projects, I was ready to continue. After being halfway rewritten, NeXT Commander 0.1.0.0 EDIT: 0.2.0.0 (0.1.0.0 was never released.) was placed on SourceForge.

Today, I still have only one NXT 1.0. I have upgraded it with a rechargeable battery pack and the LeJOS firmware (I'm slowly learning Java), but other than that, not much has changed. I still love Mindstorms!
Last edited by savedcoder on 17 Jun 2011, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
To God be the glory, great things He has done;
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life gate that all may go in.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

I have been playing with legos my whole life as well. For a while I just played with all the parts that my older brothers had collected, which was quite a pile (or so I thought then). Until I was about 10 I rarely got sets to add to the pile. Then in mid 2004, I got really interested in the Technic line. I started saving money, and that fall, Lego released 8464. I wanted it so much. I was able to order it, but before it arrived, I was able to get 8435 locally for 50% off ($25). So, I got both sets within a couple days, and absolutely loved them. That Christmas, I got the large pneumatic backhoe (8455). Since those three sets, I have slowly grown my technic collection. I think I have about 20 sets, as well as many other parts I have gotten along the way.

I got my first RCX in Dec 2006. It was just the RCX brick itself, no other electronics with it. In Feb 2007, I got 2 motors, two touch sensors, RXC Code CD, serial IR tower, and a remote. You better believe it, I was hooked! I could now make anything I wanted, it would do anything I wanted, and it was all lego! Since then I have bought a zillion more RCXs. I noticed there were occasionally RCXs that didn't work that were being sold on eBay for <$15. I figured there must be a reason why they didn't work, and there must be a fix to them. I got a lot of 4 broken ones, and fixed all but 1. I sold 2, and that more than paid for the 1 good one I kept, and the 1 broken one I wasn't able to fix. I got (in total) about 16 broken RCXs, and only have two broken ones today (both the same model BTW). Last I counted, I think I have bought a total of about 25 RCXs, and have sold about 15 (I gave one to my younger brother). I now have 8, plus 2 broken ones that I take parts from.

I got my first NXT set in Jan 2009. It was set 8527. Late 2009, I started using BCC, but only to program the RCX's (in NQC). It wasn't until mid Feb 2010 that I started using NXC. That was right about the same time I joined NXTasy, and also got my second NXT set; 9797. Since then, I have switched to only using NXC for the NXT. Sometime in there, I got a PSP-Nx and a couple HT accel sensors. Now I have 6 NXTs, of which 4 are complete (or almost complete) sets.

It was slightly before I got my first RCX that I started playing with electronics. My uncle is an EE, so for months I called him several times a week to ask questions. He would also send me parts (I had no idea you could buy that type of thing online). It wasn't long after I got the RCX that I started mixing them :D I still remember my first Electronics + RCX project; a line follower. I didn't have a light sensor at the time, so I used a photoresistor and a lego lamp. It actually worked very well. I read the sensor using a temperature RCX Code "block". Now I not only use analog and logic electronics, but also digital, and you better believe I interface them with the NXT ;)
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
kirkpthompson

Post by kirkpthompson »

Well, My sister had Legos when we were young but those bricks got kinda boring for me. I liked Tinkertoys and the Erector set in that I could build machines. In 2007-2008 (don't remember exactly), while attending a trade show sponsered by National Instruments (who developed NXT-G with Lego, based on NI LabView), they had a NXT set on display (and finally door-prized to someone) which I though was entirely cool! I had to have one!

I searched and got a set off Amazon and the fun began. I started out with the NXT-G language but the IDE was buggy and pretty limited (I am a software developer by trade) but it got me going. I would lose hours of time to the joy of mechanical design and software development! The more I searched online, the more I found out that there is a HUGE fanbase of Lego enthusiasts (I had no idea) and since Lego opensource the NXT, I could use different programming languages! I now use LeJOS to work with my NXTs.

I have bought a few Technic sets (crane, tractor, some space/mars theme vehicle with minifigures, etc. Don't know the #s) for fun (and parts!) and gotten another NXT set off ebay. Sometimes I laugh at the expressions i get when people ask what my hobbies are: "I play with Legos". I guess that's funny when an "old" guy says it...

Best,
-K
Leg Godt!
dimasterooo

Post by dimasterooo »

I'm most like your regular NXT user. I'd been playing with technic for a while when the NXT comercials hit the tube (I never herd a thing about RCX before that). I got the set for my birthday (must've been about 4-4.5 years ago), and started making the included robots, deadly afraid of combining mindstorms with my regular technic pieces because I didn't want to get them mixed up (strange...). Then, when NXT-G started to get annoying and hard to work with, I kinda quit for a while.
A youtube video got me back into mindstorms about a year after, when I moved to Germany. So I owe Basmac quite a lot for making his NXTified theatre. I made a replica, and baught my first third party sensor from HiTechnic: the IR link, to cpmtrol the things pf motors. Eventhough I never got it to work, it got me into mindstorms again, ajd I started following famous blogs like NXTStep and I'd rather be building robots.
Now I've got my own blog (one year anniversary was about a week ago), and program in RobotC. these other stories are rly inspiring!
- Leon Overweel (aka. dimastero/ dimasterooo)

My blog: http://www.leonoverweel.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LayOn_OverWhale