How do i post an HTML website

Discuss anything and everything. Keep it clean (or else).
themindstormman

How do i post an HTML website

Post by themindstormman »

i have my website doing progressively well. now i am wondering how to post it so, if you google it it will pop up. i've tried googling ways to post it but with no success. any help. (PS. the website is OK and looks boring but i will add more colors later.)
Themindstormman3141
Website admin of themindstormman3141.com
NXT FOR ALL
muntoo

Re: How do i post an HTML website

Post by muntoo »

WARNING: This is a warning.
WARNING 2: This post contains lots of bias and ego (not the waffle kind).

If you put links on another site, this will increase your Google Search Engine PageRank. Just, please, don't become a spammer, and start posting links everywhere. If you wait a while, eventually your website will be crawled by Google. BTW, what is your website URL?

Unrelated, but you may wish to set up Google Analytics so you can track/spy on your visitors view the visitor count.

If you add meta tags, and stuff like that, this will help Google put your pages up there, depending on the query. For example, if you had the info "themindstormsman's website homepage" in meta, when you search for that using Google, you may be one of the top results.

Don't worry about getting top search engine ranks yet. If you write interesting posts, and start getting visitors/clicks, that's awesome. My site became gradually "popular":

I have "long-term visitors" because I participate on this forum (mainly because of this), on StackExchange (advertising ;)), WOT (I know at least one user viewed my blog, as he commented on my board about it being good, which doesn't really help my ego), and various other places. I've got a link to my blog on my profiles, to make it easy to find.

My Firefox post on my blog seems to be the most popular (takes 35% of my site views), and it's gotten a few hundred views by Firefoxers. It's also the in the top results in some different search queries like: "default search engine firefox 4" (I've been pushed down by Mozilla in that query), "firefox 4 set default search provider", and other various similar searches. I'm guessing this is because the general public has been having the same problem, and I'm one of the few to write about the "fix".

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
themindstormman

wow that site is cool. mine is still VERY bad. its basically this...

THEMINDSTORMMAN3141's WEBSITE (its bolded not caps)
(then a link to each page)
(then i talk about myself.)

I'm gonna post polls and charts and do experiments and stuff on it but, its still very new and looks horrible.
muntoo wrote:Don't worry about getting top search engine ranks yet.
i think its gonna be hard to beat my popular nxtlog account but, that's my goal.

muntoo said: If you wait a while, eventually your website will be crawled by Google. BTW, what is your website URL?

"i don't think i have a URL. it says like c:///file/users/... instead of like WWW and i can only open it from my computer. i am trying to find some way to get it WWW but, i don't know how. that's my question and i actually don't care about the ranks i just want to get the self accomplishment but' i'll still advertise (just for fun and to make people annoyed :twisted: :evil: )it is a cool website though with a login to post comments and stuff.

so thats basically it. i just need to know how i can earn my WWWness.
Themindstormman3141
NXT FOR ALL
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

If you want something professional looking (such as my blog, which I didn't really code, as you seem to believe), you should use WordPress.com. They take care of all the hosting and stuff for you, and you don't have to pay unless your blog's taking a million views a day, or something.

That part about "C:///file/users" confirms to me that you're definitely not yet ready to start making your own site. By that, I mean stuff like comments, and stuff. That's complicated, and you'll definitely need to learn a few programming languages (server-side), and probably some database stuff. You'll need to pay for your own website, or maybe you'll be able to find a free hosting option out there.

You can make your own website as an exercise, though. If you're going to do anything serious, I really recommend getting an IDE such as NetBeans. I insist. :) Being blunt, if you find NetBeans too complicated, I'll recommend just learning your HTML enough, and then abandoning it, and moving on to something more worthwhile (like NXC!).

Again, you should try WordPress.com. Just sign up, and everything should be really, really easy. Trust me.

bit.ly/MindstormsSE

mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

If you do interesting stuff, people will come to you and link to your blog. I started off with just a few views a month and am now doing about 7000-8000 visitors a month. It takes time, though. I've been blogging on this site since September 2008.

I use a hosted Wordpress blog because it's convenient and has enough features to keep me happy. I don't need to do any kind of maintenance, the only price I pay is fewer abilities to tweak features or add additional plugins.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

mightor wrote:[...] the only price I pay is fewer abilities to tweak features or add additional plugins.
Yeah, that's my only complaint. You could always host your own WP blog (using the WordPress.org software), but you'd loose the comfort of having everything taken care of for you. I haven't tried out Blogger, and I wonder if they're less strict with this stuff? Of course, WordPress blogs are of higher quality. :)

bit.ly/MindstormsSE

bungeshea

Post by bungeshea »

muntoo wrote:
mightor wrote:You could always host your own WP blog (using the WordPress.org software)
Do you know of a good web host that work with the wordpress.org software? I usually use Webs.com for my HTML hosting and Yola.com for my sitebuilding, but they don't seem to work. :D
themindstormman

like to add a wordpress blog or your whole site?
Themindstormman3141
NXT FOR ALL
albertwilsonc

Post by albertwilsonc »

You can try wix.com or weebly.com. You can try izmoweb.com as well. Check if they work with wordpress.org... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: