Bricxcc and Linux

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
roofone

Bricxcc and Linux

Post by roofone »

I've got Bricxcc working under wine on my linux machine, and wonder if there's a way to mimic the (compile and) download action by using the "post-compile tools" option to send the program to my NXT brick after compiling it.

Is this possible? Is there any documentation on how the post-compile tools option works?

Thanks.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Re: Bricxcc and Linux

Post by afanofosc »

I would recommend using nxtcc under linux rather than trying to use BricxCC via wine. I don't know if wine properly emulates launching another process via the API functions I use or not.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

afanofosc wrote:I would recommend using nxtcc under linux rather than trying to use BricxCC via wine. I don't know if wine properly emulates launching another process via the API functions I use or not.

John Hansen
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've started looking seriously into using NXT with Linux at home (Fedora 15 64-bit currently, will migrate to Fedora 17 64-bit soon) as I just got the NXT 2.0 retail kit for my kids.

I managed to get Bricxcc test_release20120302.zip up and running using Wine, though I haven't tried using it for any real programming yet. I just stumbled on this thread regarding nxtcc so I'll try that when I'm home. Are you planning on replacing the functionality of bricxcc with nxtcc going forward?

I'm curious as to how you're supporting Linux, are you using some sort of Wine emulation layer to port the tools over?

Are there any impediments on compiling the Linux tools for 64-bit? Otherwise I'd need to drag in a lot of extra 32-bit libraries in order to make it work.
Incidentally, nxttools for Linux can only run successfully with root permissions. As a normal user, I get Access Violation errors. I haven't tried to debug this issue yet.
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

tcwan wrote: Incidentally, nxttools for Linux can only run successfully with root permissions. As a normal user, I get Access Violation errors. I haven't tried to debug this issue yet.
I figured out that it is due to permissions to access the USB device.
Some udev rules need to be added:
http://lejos.sourceforge.net/nxt/nxj/tu ... dLinux.htm