Mindstorms motor mulitplexer PF power source

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
mwareman

Mindstorms motor mulitplexer PF power source

Post by mwareman »

Hello:

I was wondering if it is possible to use the pwer functions 9 volt batter pack with the Mindsensors motor multiplexer? If so, what do I need to do to make it work? I am assuming that I would need to cut and possible modify a PF extension cable? Or, can I use one of the old RCX power cables.

Mike,
pbenco

Re: Mindstorms motor mulitplexer PF power source

Post by pbenco »

Hello Mike
Go back to good old basic, take a tour on this web site: http://philohome.com/alimservo/alimservo.htm a master as already answer you!
Go to the "Connection with NXTServo", and enjoy!
Hope this help
Ben
pbenco.wordpress.com/
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

~pbenco That is not really what I think he wants. He wants to power a 9v motor mux, not the NXTServo.

Why don't you just use the PF battery box normally, and use the outer two wires of an extension cable for the power wires? If you use the outer wires, you don't have to worry about bad polarity.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
mwareman

Post by mwareman »

Thank you to both Ben and Matt. I had looked at Philo's site but not well enough to find the power functions batterry/cable alterations. Although the notes are for the NXTservo unit the information is useful. I will cut one of my extension cables and use the outer 2 wires to connect to the power connectors on the motor multiplexer. Am I correct that polarity will not be a problem??? Or, do I still have to be careful which wire is connected to which contact and which way the switch on the battery box is moved to??? I guess I can see if I can get my hands on a volt meter and check this out myself.

Again, Thank You for pointing me in the right direction.

Mike,
philoo

Post by philoo »

mwareman wrote:Am I correct that polarity will not be a problem??? Or, do I still have to be careful which wire is connected to which contact and which way the switch on the battery box is moved to???
Yes, you have to take care of the cable wiring. This image says it all (the wires are directly in front of matching contact)
Fortunately the switch on the battery box has no action on polarity of the two external wires, any position will do.
I guess I can see if I can get my hands on a volt meter and check this out myself.
It's always better to check AGAIN ;)
Philo
doc222

Post by doc222 »

I powered my nxtmmx's(up to 4 now) at first with a extra battery pack. Now I just tap the NXT and run it all. Oddly enough it works well in my case but say you were running cars and such that are on alot all the etime may not work. Yes batteries run down rather fast but not like most bots need to run long as well. Never browned out yet. This cuts down on the extra weight too.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein
ricardocrl

Post by ricardocrl »

Just a remark/suggestion.

Even not needing to run a robot for a long time, you should take also into account the heat generated, in the power supply cables, by the total current being consumed. If you have all 4 mux's connected with all 4 motors each running, you will have 16 motors. If each consumes, let's say, 500mAh, you get 8Ah, which is not that little. Avoid using cables too thin for this power supply.
nxtman3141

Hi 222Doc

Post by nxtman3141 »

remember me. ok about you question. i would see if a converter cable would work. or else i don't know
A.K.A themindstormman3141 on nxtlog
mattallen37

Re: Hi 222Doc

Post by mattallen37 »

~ricardocrl
He doesn't use all the motors at the same time, and most decent AA batteries should be able to handle close to that current. Also, FYI, Ah is a measure of storage size, A is the current being drawn.
nxtman3141 wrote:remember me. ok about you question. i would see if a converter cable would work. or else i don't know
Uh, a converter cable? Did you read the topic? A solution has already been come up with... Also why did you change the title of your post? If that is meant to be directed to 222Doc, I suggest you say so in your message body. I don't think he was asking for help anyhow, he was just saying what he has done with success, as another idea.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
nxtman3141

Post by nxtman3141 »

ok. you don't need to be all mean.
A.K.A themindstormman3141 on nxtlog