Convert *.rxe files

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
andrea-povo-uni

Convert *.rxe files

Post by andrea-povo-uni »

Hi,
I have a problem of conversion. I need to reconvert a "file_name.rxe" into "file_name.nxc". Is it possible?
I need this option because I've lost my original nxc files after a system crash. It would be great if I could pick back my programs from my nxt.

Thanks.
m-goldberg

Re: Convert *.rxe files

Post by m-goldberg »

Sorry, but it is not possible because any particular .rxe file could be generated by many different .nxc files. The .nxe file doesn't contain enough information to recover the .nxc code that generated it.
Regards, Morton
markcrosbie

Post by markcrosbie »

All is not lost however, because you can use the NXC compiler to decompile the .rxe file into the opcodes used by the NXT using the -x option to nbc. Alternatively John has provided RXEDumper on his website http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/utilities.html that will decompile an rxe file. It will not give you the original nxc source code, but it will be close enough and if you remember the original source you can figure it out.

Of course, you could also investigate any of the many available undelete utilities to try and recover the original nxc file!

Mark
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

You may also want to consider using a memory stick or SD card to keep your NXT code on as that is less likely to suffer from a system crash, and possibly zip up your source code folder periodically so that you have backup copies in case something does corrupt your files.

While the RXE decompilation tool is nice and I use it fairly regularly it may be hard to follow for someone who has not read assembly code much. I encourage you to try to develop some familiarity with NBC since it can be very useful to know when using NXC. Even if you are familiar with NBC, though, the decompilation still loses variable names and named constants will show as their numeric values so it definitely takes a bit of practice to be able to plow through decompiled NBC code.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

markcrosbie wrote:Of course, you could also investigate any of the many available undelete utilities to try and recover the original nxc file!
Right. May want to check out Recuva by Piriform, the creators of CCleaner* and Defraggler.

(Be sure to use Recuva before defragmenting or cleaning up your hard disk. Try to recover your file ASAP, or it may be lost forever.)

*the best [free] system maintenance tool ever developed for Windows

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
nxtreme

Post by nxtreme »

I like Pandora as a undelete tool. Although, if this Recuva program is made by Piriform I might just have to try it out to see which I like better. I agree with Muntoo here, CCleaner is the best when it comes to computer maintenance software.

I use Dropbox for program backup. It automatically backs up any changes to any selected files to "The Cloud" as soon as you save the file. And, you can link several computers together so that if you have a work computer and a home computer you can work on the same program wherever you are, whenever you want. Or, if you need to show a friend a program or something you can access your account with a internet browser and download any files in that you selected on your computer. I dual-boot Ubuntu 9.10 and WinXP and I can sync files between the two with Dropbox.

I do have a few problems with it. Mainly, if I need to quickly sync a file and shut down the computer (Like, if your with the Secret Service and you have to run for it :)) it takes a couple minutes to upload a file, even a small one. The main problem is that it takes a while to check which files to change and which ones to keep. Once it does start uploading it doesn't take long, if you can upload caps disabled.

If you want to try it out click here. It's a referral, if you click that link we both get an extra 250 mB space free. If you'd prefer to not get that extra space, :( you can go here. One final thing, "I Don't Work For Dropbox!", I'm just a very happy user.
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.
andrea-povo-uni

Post by andrea-povo-uni »

Thank you for the answers.
I have recovered almost all the important parts of my work.