Mindstorms NXT 2.0 software Mac vs. PC

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
ahmadnz

Mindstorms NXT 2.0 software Mac vs. PC

Post by ahmadnz »

Hi we are looking to get the NXT 2.0 set. I don't know too much about this set so here are some questions:

1. Does programming necessarily happen on a primary computer (eg. PC) or does a lot of the programming take place on the computer thing that is the "brains" of the robot?

2. We have a newish Intel Mac (2008 production) running Snow Leopard 10.6 - I've read that the NXT software doesn't like Snow Leopard but I can install it with workarounds/patches? But am I better advised to use the PC or even install Bootcamp XP to my Mac instead?

The Mac is the primary computer in the house. The PC is in an office. So it would be preferred to use the PC but if there are issues with the Bluetooth radio on the Mac this might not be so good an idea. Are the Bluetooth issues specifically with Macs running Snow Leopard 10.6 or does this also apply if you use Bootcamp XP since that would still use the same Bluetooth radio?

Thanks for your advice. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the best computer/OS to install the NXT software onto to avoid as many software based problems as possible.
m-goldberg

Re: Mindstorms NXT 2.0 software Mac vs. PC

Post by m-goldberg »

I am able to connect to my NXT brick with bluetooth from my iMac i7 running Snow Leopard (10.6.4). I did need to download the latest Fantom communications drivers and install them to make it work. Bluetooth with Snow Leopard does seem to be somewhat slow, but it works reliably. There is information on how to download on this site. Follow this LINK.
Regards, Morton
skittler

Post by skittler »

I use it on a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8 (not Snow Leopard).

No problems at all with the NXT-G environment, or with using NXC (with Xcode as an IDE).

Except...
I can't get Bluetooth comms working.
The Macbook and the NXT block seem to Pair OK, but won't properly 'connect'.
I may well have a go on my Windows partition (via BootCamp) but that's just annoying as I want to do the software development in the OSX environment.

So for now I'm stuck with the USB cable :(
lizard381

Post by lizard381 »

skittler wrote:I use it on a Macbook Pro running 10.5.8 (not Snow Leopard).

No problems at all with the NXT-G environment, or with using NXC (with Xcode as an IDE).

Except...
I can't get Bluetooth comms working.
The Macbook and the NXT block seem to Pair OK, but won't properly 'connect'.
I may well have a go on my Windows partition (via BootCamp) but that's just annoying as I want to do the software development in the OSX environment.

So for now I'm stuck with the USB cable :(
I had the same problem, though I'm running Snow Leopard. Have you tried checking your nxt.dat file? It will be in your home directory, and when I checked mine, it didn't have a bluetooth entry. See the following blog post: https://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/ ... oth-blues/
I haven't grown past my playing with Legos stage and I don't think I want to :)
Blog: http://nuhlikklebickle.blogspot.com
Kami
fuzzball27

Post by fuzzball27 »

Bluetooth problems have nothing to do with nxt.dat files on the more recent macs. The reason that communications are difficult/impossible is because they have a broadcom BT chip that doesn't work well with the NXT at all.

Skittler: I didn't realize that there is an available IDE for NXC on Mac. What is Xcode? :D

ahmadnz: Sorry for the bunny trails ;) I am a little confused when you say, "The PC is in an office. So it would be preferred to use the PC." If this is the case what's holding you back from using the PC? If you decide to use your Mac for programming, the USB cable works just fine for downloading programs (which are written on the computer.) Actually, the USB cable has faster communication with the robot than the Bluetooth does. Also, the patch for Snow Leopard is free and easy to get on Lego Downloads. You do not need to get Bootcamp XP.
fuzzball27 >>-->
ahmadnz

Post by ahmadnz »

My apologies, I meant it would be easier to use the Mac as it is not in the office.

Is USB the preferred transfer method or do most people use Bluetooth presuming it is working?

And is Bluetooth radio incompatibility the only problem with using Mindstorms with Snow Leopard? Or are there other software/hardware incompatibilities/bugs?

Thanks!
nxtreme

Post by nxtreme »

ahmadnz wrote:Is USB the preferred transfer method or do most people use Bluetooth presuming it is working?
Yes, yes and a thousand times yes! I always use Bluetooth when it's working. At first I had problems but then Service Pack three came along for XP and once I installed that, Bluetooth was up and running in a flash. All I have to do now is plug in the BT dongle and turn on my NXT and it's connected which makes it so much more fun to tinker with the programs. I never use a USB cable unless I absolutely have to. It also depends what your working on, stationary or mobile robots. Since Bluetooth also takes up a fair amount of electricity I prefer to leave it off when possible.
One King to rule them all, One King to find them,
One King to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
On Earth where Shadows lie.
fuzzball27

Post by fuzzball27 »

The only time I've found that USB is preferable is while using John Hanson's NXT Tools application. Sometimes the NXT-G program runs a little slow on Macs, but it's not bad at all.
fuzzball27 >>-->