manage files from Nxt to pc

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
andrea-povo-uni

manage files from Nxt to pc

Post by andrea-povo-uni »

Hi,
this is my first post in the site. I hope it's the correct place to write...

I'm using Bricxcc to communicate with my robots NXT. I've already write an algorithm to manage the communication between the robots.
What I have to do now is:
1. create a txt file in my Nxt
2. send this file to my pc in an automatic way

Question1: From the guide I see that I can create files but I've seen that I can create only hex files. Is it possible convert this file into a txt file written in Ascii code?
Question2: I'm actually using the NXT-explorer to copy and see my created file to pc. I would like my Nxt send the file to my pc automatically; is it possible? I've tried to connect my nxt to the laptop without using nexttool but I cannot open the connection.

Thank you for the attention and excuse me for my very bad english.
mattallen37

Re: manage files from Nxt to pc

Post by mattallen37 »

I actually only know how to create a .txt file (ASCII), not any other kind of file. I use the NXTExplorer to view the files, and transfer them, but there might be a way to do what you want (I am sure that if you use something like C++ you could build a program that runs on the computer and does what you want).
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

As Matt said, I think you'll need some kind of program on the computer to process the file (save it to the hard-drive).

The PC program can also read the file from the NXT, because the NXT is designed to allow that. But, generally the PC does not allow something connected to the USB port (or via BT) to write to the drive.

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->
andrea-povo-uni

Post by andrea-povo-uni »

Thank you for the answers.
I've solved the first problem. It was an error of my text editor...
For the second problem I'm actually using the nexttool utilities to get my files from Nxt. I can manage it without many problems. But it would be simpler if the Nxt could send files himself to the pc. It's not a real problem so that's ok.
Nxt can send file to another Nxt without problems so why it can't send file to pc?
hassenplug

Post by hassenplug »

andrea-povo-uni wrote:Nxt can send file to another Nxt without problems so why it can't send file to pc?
The firmware/software in the NXT is designed to allow external devices (other NXTs, & PCs) to read and write to the file system on the NXT.

The firmware/software in a PC is NOT designed to allow external devices (NXTs, & PCs) to read and write to the file system on the PC.

Steve
---> Link to lots of MINDSTORMS stuff under my picture --->