SORT3R, my first EV3 robot

Discussion specific to projects ideas and support.
philoo

SORT3R, my first EV3 robot

Post by philoo »

Hi all,
It has been a long time I have not contributed in this forum, but I was told to do so to announce my new EV3 robot :D
Not much at the moment, only the video here:

...but when the EV3 set is released I plan to publish building instructions and programs.

One thing for sure, EV3 color sensor and IR sensor are really great!

Enjoy!

Philo
Philo
inxt-generation

Re: SORT3R, my first EV3 robot

Post by inxt-generation »

It sounds angry.
A.K.A. NeXT-Generation.
"A kingdom of heaven for RobotC now has recursion!"
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

Philo,

That's a very cool robot. I love the way you move his head when he runs out of bricks.

I hope you'll have another go at programming him once I get a text-based programming language working for the EV3. :-)

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

That is a robot with a personality!

I like the fact that despite the whole brick sorting assembly shifting slightly during the course of the video,
SORT3R still manages to maintain its distance and position wrt. the individual bins.
philoo

Post by philoo »

I hope you'll have another go at programming him once I get a text-based programming language working for the EV3.
Probably ;)
Though I must say that the new LEGO programming language works very well. Addition of arrays made this program easy to do.
I like the fact that despite the whole brick sorting assembly shifting slightly during the course of the video,
SORT3R still manages to maintain its distance and position wrt. the individual bins.
As for distance, there is a guiding rail to maintain robot and bins coupled (because of relative weight and friction, the robot guides the bins rather than the opposite!). Position on the brick chute is recalibrated at each brick thanks to the IR sensor that detects the back of the last bin separator near the chute. The drop brick position require less precision and driving motor encoder is more than enough even if wheels slip a bit.
Philo
circuitmage

Post by circuitmage »

Reminds me of parts handler equipment.

All it needs is a feed bucket, a way to straighten out each part , and sort by size as well.
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

+1 for the personality. Well done Philo!
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."
wxman99

Post by wxman99 »

philoo wrote: Though I must say that the new LEGO programming language works very well. Addition of arrays made this program easy to do.
Very nice robot! I am curious about the major new features of the EV3 programming language, such as the arrays. Anything else you found better than NXT?
HaWe

Post by HaWe »

Really funny! Sounds like kinda Ninja sorter :P
But I will always prefer to program with a text based speech - even for extremely simple programs ;)
philoo

Post by philoo »

Anything else you found better than NXT?
Overall ease of use, such as having all parameters of a block inside that block (instead of having to switch to configuration panel), and visibility of these parameters after configuration (helps to follow your own code). Little things like wait time block that can receive time out as an external wire. Or speed of motors that can be set negative, changing direction (both big misses on NXT!). Daisy chaining of EV3 looks like a great thing for big robots but having only one EV3, I haven't tested yet! Threading looks better too, but here also I haven't much experimented.
But I will always prefer to program with a text based speech
As of today, little choice! Waiting for John :D

...and SORT3R thanks you all for liking him ;)
Philo