RCX 1.0 & 1.5

Discussion specific to the intelligent brick, sensors, motors, and more.
lliberto

RCX 1.0 & 1.5

Post by lliberto »

Hello, I'm new to this forum so this is my first post. I hope this hasn't been asked before. I purchased an original Mindstorms kit when it was first introduced. Later I purchased an additional RCX. The first one is version 1.0 and the second 1.5. They both have been in storage for years. Now my kids are getting to the age where they are interested in both Legos and Robotics. So I attempted to start using them again. However, I can not get any of the software running on my "modern" Windows PC. Does anyone know of any software, open source or even from Lego themselves, that will run on Windows XP or Windows 7 and supports the old RCX (1.0 and/or 1.5) with a serial tower? I really want to get my kids involved in building these little gems but don't have the funds to buy the newer versions.

Thanks,
LJ
mattallen37

Re: RCX 1.0 & 1.5

Post by mattallen37 »

NQC is a programming language similar to C (Not Quite C). It is included with the open-source IDE called BricxCC (download here). It runs fine on both Win XP and on Win 7 (32 and 64 bit).

The USB tower only works with a 32 bit OS, but the serial tower will work with a 32 or a 64 bit OS. Most modern computers don't have an RS232 port, so you would probably need to get a USB <> RS232 adapter in order to use your serial tower.

BTW, the Lego SW (as junk as it is) does work on Win XP, but I highly recommend using BricxCC and NQC instead.
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
lliberto

Post by lliberto »

Thanks for the information. I did use NQC back in the day. I have not been able to get the original Lego SW to even load on my Win XP machine. I do have USB <> RS232 adapter that does seem to establish a connection but haven't been able to transfer any data/bytecode to the RCX. I'm going to BricxCC next.

Thanks again!!!
lliberto

Post by lliberto »

I forgot to mention that the only time the USB <> RS232 adapter worked was when running a Linux VM on my Win XP machine. It's been a few months since I attempted it so I can't remember what tools I was using. However, they were older Linux RCX tools I found on the internet somewhere. If memory serves correctly the issues were related to outdated and obsolete support libraries. Which is why I gave up on the Linux side. Of course, it would be awesome if I could get BricxCC to work in Linux. That way I can safe off the VM after it is properly configured and never have to worry about the environment again. At least until the USB is replaced with something new. ;)