Welcome to Mindboards

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to Mindboards

Post by afanofosc »

At the moment I am trying to persuade aplus.net's legal department that I am the owner of much of the site content (at least the parts that I authored) so they should let me have a backup of the forum database files. They do not appear to be buying my argument, sadly. I've seen that there are conversion tools from the IPB forum to the phpBB forum so if I could get a copy from the nxtasy site it would, theoretically, be possible to restore it here.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
tcwan

Post by tcwan »

[Thanks to the power of Google, I found nxtasy discussion on "The NXT STEP", which led me here...]

Hi,

Thank you all for bringing up this site.

What drew me to NXTasy was the focus on more advanced Mindstorm stuff, where people are free to share their experiments with hacking the firmware, DIY projects, etc.

I realize that a new site may not (and probably should not) replicate NXTasy wholesale, but I do hope that Mindboards would be able to keep the hacker ethos, which distinguished NXTasy it from the other Mindstorm related sites out there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, this site need to define the niche it'll cater to, and this is a crucial time at the initial launch of the site to sort this out before we get pulled in too many directions!

Best regards,
T.C .
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

Hey TC,
tcwan wrote:[Thanks to the power of Google, I found nxtasy discussion on "The NXT STEP", which led me here...]
I realize that a new site may not (and probably should not) replicate NXTasy wholesale, but I do hope that Mindboards would be able to keep the hacker ethos, which distinguished NXTasy it from the other Mindstorm related sites out there. I guess what I'm trying to say is, this site need to define the niche it'll cater to, and this is a crucial time at the initial launch of the site to sort this out before we get pulled in too many directions!
Don't worry about MindBOARDS not being a place for firmware hackers, homebrew tinkerers and envelope pushers. We're hoping all of the NXT power users and newbies alike will regard these new boards as their home. Feel free to talk about how you soldered a JTAG connector to your NXTs motherboard or whatever else tickles your fancy. If you felt at home on NXTasy, you should be fine here, too.

We don't cater to a specific niche, everyone should feel welcome here. The only thing we'll never do is give people answers without making them think about it first. Our motto is "Teach a man to fish." and we take that very seriously, we hope that the others on these boards feel the same way.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi folks,
many thanks for creating this to carry on the great work from nxtasy...

I've just posted a link to mindboards over on our leJOS forum so hopefully that will point a few more NXT fans in the right direction...

All the best

Andy
markcrosbie

Post by markcrosbie »

Great work guys - thanks for setting this up for everyone!

The old NXTasy site had a "repository" of code and building instructions that I always found useful. Is there a facility in phpBB to do something similar? It strikes me that a knowledge-base of techniques, snippets of code, building tricks would be good to have.

Regards,
Mark
mightor
Site Admin

Post by mightor »

markcrosbie wrote:The old NXTasy site had a "repository" of code and building instructions that I always found useful. Is there a facility in phpBB to do something similar? It strikes me that a knowledge-base of techniques, snippets of code, building tricks would be good to have.
That bit was on the blog of the NXTasy website. You can create pages that contain articles without too much trouble. It's not something you normally do on a forum, at least there are no specific features on phpBB that would facilitate this.

- Xander
| My Blog: I'd Rather Be Building Robots (http://botbench.com)
| RobotC 3rd Party Driver Suite: (http://rdpartyrobotcdr.sourceforge.net)
| Some people, when confronted with a problem, think, "I know, I'll use threads,"
| and then two they hav erpoblesms. (@nedbat)
linmix

Post by linmix »

But it may fit in the wiki :roll:
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

If you have suggestions for the mindboards site I'd encourage you to post in the last forum on the board index and offer your time, opinions, etc... there. If you want to be a blog contributor, a forum moderator, or are willing to contribute source code for the SVN repository please let us know.

We especially need your help in spreading the word so that more of the former ~8k nxtasy members can find their way here. Links to the mindboards.net page will definitely help convince Google to point toward this site. That reminds me, I need to add a prominent announcement and link at the top of the BricxCC and NBC pages.

John Hansen
myrotfl

Post by myrotfl »

afanofosc wrote: ... snip
I did happen to find what looks to be a mostly complete cache of a thread on the forums about Bluetooth and Mac OS X.
Great! Is there anyway to get it posted somewhere? I'm going to need to get a new computer sometime soon and I will need the info to configure it so the Bluetooth will work somewhat properly.

Thanks,

Andy D
If life gives you LEGO®, build ROBOTS!
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

myrotfl wrote: Great! Is there anyway to get it posted somewhere? I'm going to need to get a new computer sometime soon and I will need the info to configure it so the Bluetooth will work somewhat properly.
If you could post a topic in the hardware section I will try to extract the content into a useable format (I saved it as an html file which doesn't work so well for posting here). I'm not sure if this particular thread has the kind of information you are specifically hoping to have available when you get your new computer. But it might so it's worth reposting.

John Hansen