bluetooth

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
painfulartem123

bluetooth

Post by painfulartem123 »

Well, every time i connect from computer to the mindstorms it gives me the usual stuff like the pass key.But when i enter the passkey on the computer nothing happens.Also the NXT-G program never scans the mindstorm .And i think it scans to fast and doesn't find anything. When i try connecting from the mindstorm it says that lane is busy and its always busy.What should i do i ran out of things to try ? :?: :?: :?: :?:
mcsummation

Re: bluetooth

Post by mcsummation »

First, the "simple questions":
1) What Bluetooth adapter (dongle) are you using?
2) What driver (in the computer) are you using?
3) What operating system are you using in the computer?
4) Is Bluetooth enabled in the NXT?

BTW, when connecting the computer and NXT, the computer is normally the Master in the Master/Slave relationship.
painfulartem123

Post by painfulartem123 »

mcsummation wrote:First, the "simple questions":
1) What Bluetooth adapter (dongle) are you using?
2) What driver (in the computer) are you using?
3) What operating system are you using in the computer?
4) Is Bluetooth enabled in the NXT?

BTW, when connecting the computer and NXT, the computer is normally the Master in the Master/Slave relationship.
1) No dongle my computer has bluetooth.
2 ) Driver ?
3 ) Windows 7 , Intel core (i5).
4) Duh, and I'm also visible.
mcsummation

Post by mcsummation »

Another set of "simple" questions:
1) On my computer, I can add the NXT to the Bluetooth connection list without bringing up the NXT-G software. Have you tried that?
2) If you've done the above, can you connect to the NXT using another program, like "NXT-remote"? It can be found at http://www.norgesgade14.dk/remote/nxt-remote.zip.

On my system, using a USB dongle, the NXT-G software is very flaky relative to using Bluetooth. All the other packages I'm using that connect over Bluetooth never have a problem. In fact, the NXT-G software often deletes the Bluetooth connection that's already defined. This is one of the several reasons I'm moving away from NXT-G to NXC for my development. BricxCC (NXC) never has an issue with Bluetooth.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

It sounds like you might be making a mistake by using your Windows software to connect to your NXT and then trying to do the same thing from within the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT software. It won't be able to connect since you already are connected outside of the program, i.e., by another process who owns the open connection. You need to make sure that you do not have any connection already established between the PC and the NXT when you run the LMS NXT software. The NXT software will scan and connect if the connection is not already there but it will tell you that the connection is busy if it finds that something else already has an open connection to the NXT.

Also, when someone asks you questions in an attempt to help you it is best to not reply with the word "Duh". You need to know what chipset your computer's built-in Bluetooth uses (i.e., broadcomm, Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR), etc...). The LEGO Fantom drivers have historically worked best with CSR devices. You also need to know what drivers are installed for your Bluetooth device. There is the Microsoft stack, the Broadcomm (aka Widcomm) stack, the Toshiba stack, plus others. Toshiba laptops, for example, typically have toshiba bluetooth drivers installed which do not work reliably with the Fantom drivers. You really need either the Microsoft or widcomm drivers for the Fantom drivers to work best.

If you still have problems using your built-in Bluetooth with the NXT from within NXT-G then you might want to consider buying a cheap $2 dongle that uses widcomm and the CSR chipset.

John Hansen
Multi-platform LEGO MINDSTORMS programming
http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/
ggrinton

Post by ggrinton »

I suspect I have the same or a very similar problem: When I click the Scan button, the window Scanning for NXT devices shows only for a second or so, and finds nothing.

The PC Bluetooth mgr can find the NXT; both the PC and the NXT have confirmed the passcode. The NXT is visible on the PC, with a status of "Connected". But the NXT remains stubbornly invisible to the Mindstorms software; Scan returns quickly with no results.

I have an MSI Notebook, Windows XP-SP3, with internal USB and the Toshiba bluetooth drivers - I suspect this may be the problem.

Can anyone confirm the source of the problem, or suggest why, if the NXT is quite visible to the Bluetooth Mgr, I get no connection?

Thanks.
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

The Toshiba bluetooth drivers are most likely the problem as they are not compatible with the Fantom drivers used by the LEGO NXT software. But there is a very good chance that you can switch to using the Microsoft bluetooth stack instead of the Toshiba stack. You might find information on the web about replacing the bluetooth drivers for your particular hardware with drivers from Microsoft if you google a bit.

Maybe this will help?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7243567_replace ... osoft.html

John Hansen
ggrinton

Post by ggrinton »

Thank you John.
The bluetooth on the MSI is a strange sort of beast, and is not recognised by the Windows drivers.
I think I'll just go out and buy myself a separate dongle!
afanofosc
Site Admin

Post by afanofosc »

I bought a cheap one from dealextreme.com a while back that works great.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/bluetoo ... tegory=304

John Hansen