NXT Grayscale-pics

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
muntoo

Re: NXT Grayscale-pics

Post by muntoo »

spillerrec wrote:Is creating grayscale pictures something I should add in RICcreator? I could add some extra stuff when importing images, so it creates 2 images at different thresholds instead of just one. Just some simple stuff though.
Anyway, is there interest?
(I know everyone will hate me for saying this, but it must be said.)

I think it's better to keep your software focused. Adding features that will only make a select few happy will only add bloat*. It could be a plugin, or an addition, or something, but not 'integrated' directly into the actual software installer you download. Only if there is great demand should you include it; and I seriously doubt there ever will be.

The world does not need a RotaerCCIR. The name should be enough to deter you from that path. (...Unless you like the name ((1R.)

In other words, -1, or |\|0.

*Even if this is the only unnecessary feature you plan to ever add, don't add it.

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

muntoo wrote:(I know everyone will hate me for saying this, but it must be said.)

I think it's better to keep your software focused. Adding features that will only make a select few happy will only add bloat*. It could be a plugin, or an addition, or something, but not 'integrated' directly into the actual software installer you download.
One thing he could do is simply add lighter shades of grey to a color palette among which would be grey, white, black, or anything else in between. Maybe also he could have some kind of option in a preferences menu with a checkbox next to it saying something like:

Code: Select all

Enable grayscale
And only then would the interface have these extra things. If he incorperates it right, then it may not seem too confusing.
muntoo also wrote: Only if there is great demand should you include it; and I seriously doubt there ever will be.
I do not think that it would only make a select few happy. I believe that even intermediate users would love this feature. Even if there aren't many supporters, I'll AT LEAST be the fourth one to say yes! Please do it!
-Hayden
spillerrec

Post by spillerrec »

All I was thinking to add a way to automatically create 'n' sprites from a image file, which had been thresholding to different amount of gray.
Something like this:
It will not be able to either show nor edit the sprites in gray scale, if you want to do that, do it in Gimp and then import the resulting image instead.
My blog: http://spillerrec.dk/category/lego/
RICcreator, an alternative to nxtRICeditV2: http://riccreator.sourceforge.net/
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

spillerrec wrote:All I was thinking to add a way to automatically create 'n' sprites from a image file, which had been thresholding to different amount of gray.
Something like this:
It will not be able to either show nor edit the sprites in gray scale, if you want to do that, do it in Gimp and then import the resulting image instead.
Now that works perfectly. :) Nice idea.

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
nxtboyiii

Post by nxtboyiii »

You could have them choose how many levels of grayscale. That would be cool and I think a lot of people would like it because they have never had grayscale on the NXT so they can expirement with it and use it.
Thanks, and have a nice day,
nxtboy III

programnxt.com
monkyman95

Post by monkyman95 »

Fascinating... Maybe, once I release NXTMario, I'll revise the sprites into Greyscale...
*ponders*
-The programmer known as 2Tie.
The one, the only, the NXC-programming fox furry.
spillerrec

Post by spillerrec »

nxtboyiii wrote:You could have them choose how many levels of grayscale.
Notice the spinbox below the "Dithering" checkbox. The number in there determines the amount of images it should generate. The slider changes the thresholds for the images which also works for dithered images now.
My blog: http://spillerrec.dk/category/lego/
RICcreator, an alternative to nxtRICeditV2: http://riccreator.sourceforge.net/