Lego Robotics StackExchange site

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
timpattinson

Re: Lego Robotics StackExchange site

Post by timpattinson »

Click on the numbers eg
Random StackExchange Area51 Site wrote: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
[3] Great on topic example
^^
^^
Commit to Lego Mindstorms StackExchange Q&A http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/4105
Minboards IRC Channel #mindboards on Freenode
My blog: http://timpattinson.wordpress.com/
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

@Timpattinson, if I do that, then this window:
pops up, asking me to commit despite the fact that I have already commited and am signed in. Or, are you saying that when the window pops up that that indicates that I have just voted? Cause if that means that I have just voted, then that's not a very good way of the site indicating it.
-Hayden
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

The reason you're getting those popups is because the site has moved on into "Commitment phase". Voting/commenting/generating/etc example questions was for when the site was in the Proposal stage. There's no point in voting/commenting/etc now, so it's been disabled.

(The only way you can help now is by spreading the word about the site, and getting people to commit. Not true for my Theoretical and Applied Robotics - it's relatively new, and still in the 'Proposal stage'.)

No need to feel stupid - we were all new to StackExchange, once upon a time. :)

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

Ah, thanks. I knew that no new proposal questions could be posted during the commitment phase, but I did not know that they couldn't get rated and commented on anymore. Thanks for your understanding and info! I will try to spread the word.
-Hayden
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

LEGO Private Beta is out for all the Commiters!

Public beta will be open in less than a week.

bit.ly/MindstormsSE

bungeshea

Post by bungeshea »

Just recieved this email...
Hello,

We 're writing because you committed to or followed the Area 51 proposal Lego Mindstorms Robotics.

However, there's now a Stack Exchange site for LEGO® Bricks in beta — and as previously announced, the Mindstorms proposal and the Bricks site overlap sufficiently that it's now time to shut down the Mindstorms proposal.

Given the level of duplication between the two, this means that some of your Mindstorms questions already have a friendly home, looking forward to their appearance.

For your questions that are more about robotics and less about bricks, you're invited to join either or both of these proposals:

Robotics research
Theoretical and Applied Robotics

As always, thank you for participating on Area 51!

Regards,
Dori
Area 51 Stack Exchange Moderator
haydenstudios

Post by haydenstudios »

bungeshea wrote:Just recieved this email...
Hello,

We 're writing because you committed to or followed the Area 51 proposal Lego Mindstorms Robotics.

However, there's now a Stack Exchange site for LEGO® Bricks in beta — and as previously announced, the Mindstorms proposal and the Bricks site overlap sufficiently that it's now time to shut down the Mindstorms proposal.

Given the level of duplication between the two, this means that some of your Mindstorms questions already have a friendly home, looking forward to their appearance.

For your questions that are more about robotics and less about bricks, you're invited to join either or both of these proposals:

Robotics research
Theoretical and Applied Robotics

As always, thank you for participating on Area 51!

Regards,
Dori
Area 51 Stack Exchange Moderator
I received that E-mail as well, and most likely everyone else who was commited both to the LEGO Mindstorms proposal, and the LEGO proposal. It's good to know that the LEGO Mindstorms proposal is going somewhere now.
-Hayden
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

Reposting a PM I sent to Doc:
muntoo wrote:
doc-helmut wrote:hi,
what is this Robotics Stack Exchange thing for?
Helmut
muntoo wrote:Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Theoretical and Applied Robotics is a Proposal for a StackExchange site. If you follow it, one day we might have ourselves a mini-StackOverflow! I suggest you wander around on StackOverflow a bit to get an intuitive feel for what it is like.

It is basically [going to be, hopefully] a Q&A site, sort of like Yahoo! Answers and Experts-Exchange, but without all the idiots, and filled with experts. The average quality of a StackExchange answer is 1000s of times better than any random Y!A answer you will find. It is virtually Wikipedia standards.

Please see the FAQs for SO and A51.
And there is also a nice diagram on SO's about page.

Some sites which may interest you: I myself am an avid participant on StackExchange, and StackOverflow, my 'main' account.

If you need any more explaining, just ask!

bit.ly/MindstormsSE