Error -1073807298 when updating the firmware

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
superjanneke

Error -1073807298 when updating the firmware

Post by superjanneke »

Dear Fellow Builders,

After playing with the mindstorms set for a while, writing simple programs on the brick itself, I connected for with bluetooth using the NXTRemote on android.
During this, I encountered already some problems controlling the brick, and afterwards, the brick would not respond at all anymore.

Then, I tried to update the firmware to 1.31, using the nxt-g program, but I keep getting the -1073807298 error code.
I think it has to do something with this:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ ... enDocument but I don't know what to do with this information...
I am using a windows 7 home 64 bit. I installed the latest fantom driver (1.1.3), but in the device manager it says I'm using the winusb driver for the NXT in firmware mode.

At one point, the update succeeded, but after a minute or so, the device locked up again.
I am trying now for hours to fix this, because now the NXT brick is well, bricked :p. The only thing it does anymore is clicking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Jan
mattallen37

Re: Error -1073807298 when updating the firmware

Post by mattallen37 »

I always use the FW downloader that is included with BricxCC. It works really really well, now that it waits in the middle of the download.

It ticking like that means it's in SAMBA mode (FW download mode).
Matt
http://mattallen37.wordpress.com/

I'm all for gun control... that's why I use both hands when shooting ;)
superjanneke

Post by superjanneke »

I tried the bricxcc, but that didn't work neither. I couldn't even find which usb port I had to select. With every port it said that it couldn't connect to the device.
But that could have been because of the SAMBA state?

When using the firmware update window, it allways gave the same message :"Firmware download failed. Put the RCX closer and try again."

I tried to sniff the usb traffic with snoopypro, but that didn't work neither, so I'm starting to think that it is my machine...
I'll try a different one if I can find one...

Thanks for the help!
spillerrec

Post by spillerrec »

If BCC says it can't connect to the brick (when it is in SAMBA mode), you should just ignore it and try updating it anyway. While you can't upload NXC programs (which is possibly the reason for that message), you can update the firmware.
My blog: http://spillerrec.dk/category/lego/
RICcreator, an alternative to nxtRICeditV2: http://riccreator.sourceforge.net/
superjanneke

Post by superjanneke »

Ah ok, still it didn't work.
I tried now to do it on a linux box, using libnxt (http://code.google.com/p/libnxt/).
That just hangs until the brick stops clicking.

I guess I should go for a new box...

Thanks anyways guys!
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

Whoa, don't give up yet! First install the very latest NXT drivers for you computer. Here is a direct download link.

Now, since you currently don't have any FW on the NXT, why not get enhanced FW? It fixes a lot of bugs, and adds support for many features that can be accessed through NXC. Here is a direct link to the latest official release of BCC. Install that over what you have (to be sure you have the latest official release), and Included is enhanced FW (version 1.31). Use the firmware download tool in BCC 3.3.8.9, and download the FW file included. Don't attempt to search for the NXT before-hand.
Matt

superjanneke

Post by superjanneke »

Even with the latest drivers and the latest version of bcc (the ones from your links) and the firmware that is supplied with it, it just keeps clicking...
Also, I don't really see the effects of the new drivers (maybe that's the problem).
In the device manager, the only thing listed below driver details for the device "LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Firmware Update Mode" is c:\windows\system32\drivers\winusb.sys (version 6.1.7600.16385).

After the failed firmware download in bcc, the tool does show the nxt as connected though...

Is there a test to see whether the brick is really broken?

btw: Matt, pretty impressive blog :)
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

There shouldn't have been any "visible" signs of the driver update (called "phantom driver" FYI).

Make sure the NXT voltage is at least 6 volts (battery voltage), but 7.2 - 9.2 is recommended.

Confirm the USB cable is not defective (maybe try using it with something like a printer).

Now, when the NXT is powered on (ticking), push the reset button, and hold for a while (5-15 seconds I think). The button it located in the hole on the bottom of the NXT, right below the USB port. You probably need something like a paper clip to press it. Once you do that, it should still just tick, but at least it will be properly reset. Try again to upload the FW using the BCC tool.

The brick ticking means that it isn't "dead", and I don't know of any FW download related circumstance that would officially kill the NXT (except wearing out the FW lock bit, which would take 8000+ FW downloads to do).
Matt

superjanneke

Post by superjanneke »

I have a voltage of 8.3V. The resetting thing, I already knew about that and tried it like a hundred times.
I have used two USB cables, they both work just fine with my external hard drive and printer.

I really think the brick is just faulty.
Is there a way to communicate with the device directly to diagnose it? With minicom or similar eg?

Thanks Matt, really appreciate it.
mattallen37

Post by mattallen37 »

When you reset, you held it for a while, right? Just pressing it for like a second will just restart the NXT (not reset it). I'm sure you also tried removing the batteries temporarily...

I don't think the NXT supports any type of diagnostics through USB, but if you like to be adventurous, you could connect to it with a JTAG (requires opening the NXT, soldering headers, and having access to a JTAG). I don't know that you would be able to get any info that way either though.

One last idea; Try pressing the reset button (with the batteries still in), and then remove a battery so that it shuts off (still holding the reset button) and then put the battery back in, while still holding the reset button.

BTW, if this didn't take place specifically by the attempt to reflash the FW, I'd suggest a virus (they are fun to make :ugeek: ). Even then, there is only one other thing I would suggest trying (holding the orange button and the reset button for 1-5 minutes).

If it still isn't working, try calling lego and asking for a replacement. They have awesome customer support, and seem almost eager to dish out replacement bricks (for free). Tell them your brick is stuck in SAMBA mode, and resetting it doesn't help. Also mention that reflashing the FW didn't help.

If at last you still can't get it working, and lego won't help, please do not throw it away. If you don't want to do anything more with it, I would love to open it up and try resetting it from the PCB. I would also like to test different points on the circuit board to see if maybe something else is causing (or adding to) the issue.
Matt