Error - Cannot download Bricx program to NXT

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
ahartford

Error - Cannot download Bricx program to NXT

Post by ahartford »

Hello,

I have several students who build a rubik's cube solver using NXT. We cannot get the provided source code in rxe, viewed on Bricx in nxc, to download to the NXT brick. I've checked the available memory and it is enough. I can download to the brick from the NXT software. I can connect via USB and Bluetooth. I cannot transfer the file through Bluetooth. The error points to a lack of memory, but there are no files on the brick except a few system files.. The rxe file is 51 KB and the brick shows 92 KB free memory.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate them.

Thank you,
A. Hartford
ahartford

Re: Error - Cannot download Bricx program to NXT

Post by ahartford »

I was able to solve my own mystery. In case anyone else has experienced this situation, this is how I resolved it:
From the NXT menu, selected Remote Controller.
Connect to the brick
On the memory tab, remove all files including the system files.
Download the RXE file from my PC.

Even though the program only required 51KB and the brick had a lot of space remaining after the successful download, it still would not download without removing everything from the brick.
tcwan99

Re: Error - Cannot download Bricx program to NXT

Post by tcwan99 »

ahartford wrote:I was able to solve my own mystery. In case anyone else has experienced this situation, this is how I resolved it:
From the NXT menu, selected Remote Controller.
Connect to the brick
On the memory tab, remove all files including the system files.
Download the RXE file from my PC.

Even though the program only required 51KB and the brick had a lot of space remaining after the successful download, it still would not download without removing everything from the brick.
This is an old post, but for others encountering the problem, you need to understand that the NXT file system does not allow for non-contiguous file storage. Meaning that although total free space is sufficient, the largest contiguous block of free space is what limits the file size you can download. So if you encounter insufficient space errors, you should delete all the files and redownload them.

Another good practice is to download system files (e.g., the sound files) first, so if you add or remove RXE files later it should leave the empty space at the end of the free space area and minimize the fragmentation.