Ev3 Education application - Number of myBlocks limit?

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
RuneW

Ev3 Education application - Number of myBlocks limit?

Post by RuneW »

This is my first post here, so be gentle with me...

I'm new to EV3 programming, but have coded for about 30 years or so... And the "LEGO" programming interface is not exactly what I'm used to :mrgreen:

Currently I'm doing "base research" and I'm trying to build a useful library of myBlocks (moveStraigh, rotateByGyro etc). Currently my project has about 30 myBlocks and already the software REALLY struggles. The home edtion just crashes when loading my project. So far the Education version works, but it is so sluggish that it's really almost not usable. It takes about 2 minutes to load the project and when trying to drag a block in some of the larger myBlocks, it's almost unbearable.

What I guess I'm wondering about is what is the cause of this sluggishness? Is it the number of myBlocks? Is it the number of nested myBlock calls (I guess I currently have at least 3 or 4 levels). Or is it the number of variables? Or the size of the project? It's currently 160kB.

The Mindstorms software uses about 1GB of ram with this project while it uses about 213MB of ram with a very small project so it seems only the project data hogs 800MB!

Yes, some of the blocks are a bit big, but I have a hard time imagining that my project is especially advanced or large compared to some of the insane FLL projects out there.

The PC I'm running on isn't such a bas PC either. It a Dual Xeon with 12/24 cores and has 32GB RAM (Running Win10 64). Of course Win64 nor 32GB doesn't really help much with a 32 bit application like Lego Minstorms EV3...
Erik in NJ

Re: Ev3 Education application - Number of myBlocks limit?

Post by Erik in NJ »

Sadly I believe the number of blocks are limited to 31 due to the 5 bits available in the simple constant. Take a look at the Firmware Development Kit PDF. I'm just starting to get my mind around this stuff.
Erik in NJ

Re: Ev3 Education application - Number of myBlocks limit?

Post by Erik in NJ »

Sadly I believe the number of blocks are limited to 31 due to the 5 bits available in the simple constant. Take a look at the Firmware Development Kit PDF. I'm just starting to get my mind around this stuff.