EV3 Basic

Discussion specific to NXT-G, NXC, NBC, RobotC, Lejos, and more.
nward

EV3 Basic

Post by nward »

As a robotics teacher tired of working within the limitations of the standard Lego EV3 software (EV3-G) I searched earlier this year for an EV3 programming option that would be more powerful, easy to install, easy to use, text-based, and free. I dismissed anything based on C as too difficult for my secondary school kids and gave up on ev3dev/EV3 Python after three weeks of frustration. I eventually came across EV3 Basic. EV3 Basic is Microsoft Small Basic with the EV3 extension that was released earlier this year. It is compatible only with Windows PCs. I liked EV3 Basic so much that I decided to work with the developer to make it even better and to make a dedicated website EV3Basic.com. Some features of EV3 Basic:
* it's easier to install than other text-based programming systems for the EV3. It uses the standard EV3 software i.e. it does not require the use of a different operating system on an SD card and it does not require the modification of the EV3 firmware.
* it's easier to program than other text-based programming systems for the EV3. The programming interface is extremely simple, and thoroughly appropriate for beginner programmers (the declared aim of Microsoft when they introduced Small Basic in 2008 was to put the fun back into programming). EV3 Basic programs can be run directly from Small Basic – it is not even necessary to download them to the brick
* EV3 Basic has many functions that are not included in EV3-G
* EV3 Basic can make use of the extra functionality of Small Basic. For example, the EV3 can interact with the Small Basic graphics window, as in the remote control example on EV3Basic.com
* EV3 Basic supports all the standard Lego EV3 and NXT motors and sensors.
* EV3 Basic supports Bluetooth and WiFi connections
* Although, as previously stated, EV Basic programs can be run directly from Small Basic without downloading them to the EV3 Brick, it is also possible to compile the programs into 'brick format' () and download them to the brick using a companion program, EV3 Explorer. In fact this is the recommended way of working with wireless connections.
* EV3 Basic can make use of all the standard Lego sound and image files once they have been downloaded to the brick with EV3 Explorer.
* EV3 Basic is fast! Cube Twister (search YouTube) uses mainly EV3 parts and EV3 Basic code and can solve random Rubik cubes in 2.2 seconds!
* Both Small Basic and the EV3 Extension are entirely free!
* The official tutorials website, EV3Basic.com (my baby) has dozens of sample programs, a YouTube playlist, and no ads.
* Microsoft has given EV3 Basic the thumbs up! See what Microsoft's Ed Price has to say about EV3 Basic here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/arch ... basic.aspx
* Small Basic is available in 17 languages and the documentation of the EV3 extension (Intellisense and manual) is available in English, Spanish, French and German.
EV3 Basic has too many features for me to list them all here so I invite you to visit EV3Basic.com, try the program and help spread the word. Thanks in advance! :)

Nigel Ward [email protected]
PS I also have a website, mind-storms.com, devoted to robotics with a special emphasis on the EV3. It also has philosophical pretensions, addressing questions like whether robots will take our jobs and whether robots will ever have feelings…
Erik in NJ

Re: EV3 Basic

Post by Erik in NJ »

Excellent! I just sent you an email regarding your work and some thoughts I have for a parallel effort in Dyalog APL.
Erik in NJ

Re: EV3 Basic

Post by Erik in NJ »

Excellent! I just sent you an email regarding your work and some thoughts I have for a parallel effort in Dyalog APL.