Best Internet Browser

Discuss anything and everything. Keep it clean (or else).

In your opinion, what is the best Internet browser?

Microsoft Internet Explorer
5%
Mozilla Firefox
30%
Google Chrome
45%
Opera
10%
Apple Safari
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 20

HaWe

Re: Best Internet Browser

Post by HaWe »

I've been using Firefox for about 1 year, but it's so annoying slow (especially at 1st startup) that I think I'll change back to IE.
FF also often does not work properly - hangs on, leaving unfinished windows tasks as garbage.

Google I will never use because of unauthorized data storage and data missuse.
timpattinson

Post by timpattinson »

Use Opera then. On my pc, which isn't all that flash, it loads faster than Chrome
EDIT. If youve got 7/Vista and can use IE9, forget what i just wrote
Commit to Lego Mindstorms StackExchange Q&A http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/4105
Minboards IRC Channel #mindboards on Freenode
My blog: http://timpattinson.wordpress.com/
savedcoder

Post by savedcoder »

I use Opera. Firefox is nice because it's open source and has more powerful add-ons/extensions, but I prefer Opera's fast, clean, pretty and intuitive user interface. I also like the features like Speed Dial, Unite, Turbo, Link, Mail, and more. It's developer tools are very useful as well.
To God be the glory, great things He has done;
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life gate that all may go in.
spillerrec

Post by spillerrec »

I use Opera because it is packed with features without being bloated. It has all the Internet technologies you normally met.
I'm actually quite satisfied with the inbuilt email client. I use it instead of the web-interfaces as I found it more comfortable. It is just much faster.
I like how feeds are handled the same way as mails, it is easy to organize feeds using groups, and in general use all the organizing features you can use on mails.
I have seen several people being happy with the inbuilt bittorrent so they can download it without having to install a separate program. (But imo nothing beats µtorrent.) I like the download manager though.
The inbuilt IRC client has been useful on some occasions. It is better than the Java implementations many web-interfaces uses.
Opera Link to synchronize browsers on different computers has also been handy.

User-CSS and user-JavaScript is lovely and I use user-CSS quite a bit. (Remove ads, remove countdown timers and more.) I also use Opera Dragonfly quite a bit. It is also easy to open webpages linked stylesheets and javascripts.

I could go on... All of these features just work. I don't have to find and install plug-ins it all comes bundled. (Dragonfly downloads automatically on the first use though.) And even though it contains all these features it isn't slow at all.
My main reason to use Opera is however because it features helps me to move around the web faster. After getting used to it I just found it much easier to use than the other browsers.

The main issue with Opera is that it is hard to discover many of less obvious features. How many knows that Opera contains a "Kiosk-mode" which makes it impossible for the user to access anything else on the computer than the browser? (This is intended for computers placed in stores and such, so that they for example can browse the stores website, but nothing else.)
Ones life with the Opera browser is filled with those "WTF it could do this?" experiences...
My blog: http://spillerrec.dk/category/lego/
RICcreator, an alternative to nxtRICeditV2: http://riccreator.sourceforge.net/
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

timpattinson wrote:Chrome (v. infinity)
I remember that article. :)
doc-helmut wrote:Google I will never use because of unauthorized data storage and data missuse.
I see you've chosen to follow the dumb myths floating around. Google Search doesn't "misuse" your data. Google Chrome doesn't even collect any data, unless you use some very specific features.

If you don't manually enable: Chrome Instant (which is a security vulnerability anyways) or "send statistics to Google", then I don't think Google can "steal" your data.

If you're triple-paranoid (worse than me), disable: "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar", "Enable phishing and malware protection", and "Predict network actions to improve page load performance".
Double-rant: Of course, Internet Explorer also does this, and a few other browsers, but since Google is "anti-privacy" in the media, although they use this data to improve their algorithm, which I see nothing against - even Yahoo! and Microsoft probably do this. In fact, every website probably collects data about you. There's this predisposed notion that "Google is evil! No use Google! Why? I don't know, but it's evil!!"
If you're still worried about Google Chrome, you should use the original Chromium. (I'm not sure, but you may need to build it yourself, or download from somewhere like here.)
savedcoder wrote:I use Opera. Firefox is nice because it's open source and has more powerful add-ons/extensions, but I prefer Opera's fast, clean, pretty and intuitive user interface. I also like the features like Speed Dial, Unite, Turbo, Link, Mail, and more. It's developer tools are very useful as well.
Chrome has Speeddial 2 which totally pwns the original Speed Dial. And new tabs open up extremely fast, too - maybe Speeddial 2 has a "rendered copy" of itself "cached" in memory, that gets copied each time a new tab is opened?

Firefox is more customizable, but Chrome doesn't need to be customized. (Not including extensions like WOT, NotScripts, Adblock, Xmarks, etc.) :P

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
timpattinson

Post by timpattinson »

XKCD Forums:
From XKCD Forums topic
From XKCD Forums topic
browsers.jpg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 12917 times
Commit to Lego Mindstorms StackExchange Q&A http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/4105
Minboards IRC Channel #mindboards on Freenode
My blog: http://timpattinson.wordpress.com/
themindstormman

Post by themindstormman »

I am forced to use safari on a windows visa because...

IE is horrible and won't let me even open it
Firefox won't let me log into anything (mindboards, nxtlog, youtube, google, e-mail,etc.)
Chrome has no search bar
And none of the others are installed so i have to vote safari cause the rest STINK!!!!!
I really want to get IE and FF working so help is advised but forget about chrome cause i hate it!

SAFARI FOR ALL
Themindstormman3141
Website admin of themindstormman3141.com
NXT FOR ALL
muntoo

Post by muntoo »

themindstormman wrote:SAFARI FOR ALL
Even IE is better than Safari. (In terms of security, Safari sucks.)
What is this abomination?!
I'm not sure why IE isn't "opening". I don't know why you can't log into anything with Firefox, either. Maybe you've got malware/adware. (A "virus".)

Chrome doesn't need a search bar. In fact, I've done my best to integrate Firefox's search bar into one long 'Awesome Bar'. (Every browser has their own name for the Address Bar. Chrome's is 'Omnibox'. :)) You just type your keywords into the address bar, and it searches for you - what more do you want?

Commit to LEGO Mindstorms Robotics Stack Exchange:
bit.ly/MindstormsSE

Commit to LEGO Stack Exchange: bit.ly/Area51LEGOcommit
themindstormman

Post by themindstormman »

what abomination?
anyways i think i have like IE 2005 or something that is outdated now.
And i don't think that chrome not having a search bar is wrong i'm just saying it's weird to me and feels too blue.
I don't know why it feels blue it's just not white so it feels weird.
Themindstormman3141
Website admin of themindstormman3141.com
NXT FOR ALL