Bonaparte's music video made out of Lego Mindstorms.

News, rumors, and other broad discussion topics.
peter-cocteau

Bonaparte's music video made out of Lego Mindstorms.

Post by peter-cocteau »

Hi,

Bonaparte is a german rock/electronic musician who asked to Jul & Mat (French directors and friends of mine) to make a short music video.
So during one month I've built and program robotic installation shown here. I use 10 Lego motors (NXT and old ones), 3 NXT and 2 Hitechnic SuperPro Boards.
I especially use Hitechnic boards to control lights and make NXT good synchronization (by using Fast I2C communication).

I first analysed all music parts in song by using Logic audio (Apple music software) and reproduce it in NXT-G program.
This robotic installation really plays the song from start to end.

Watch the video:

http://vimeo.com/50890693

Have Fun!

Peter.
mspall

Re: Bonaparte's music video made out of Lego Mindstorms.

Post by mspall »

Peter,

I liked the video and the song. I liked the social commentary of the video.

A constructive comment, the video doesn't show off your Lego Mindstorm skills. I think it the video is great way to compliment the song, so again bravo! But the editing hides your Lego programming and makes it appear to be all editing trickery. To show off all your work, I recommend making a video with a long running shot without cuts. Maybe even a split screen with the focus on different aspects of your Lego work at the same time, similar to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT7pT6zCcA
Again, I think the video is great for showing off the song, make another to show off your work more.
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

Impressive! How long did it take to set all of that up?
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."
peter-cocteau

Post by peter-cocteau »

mspall: I'm agree with your comment but I'm bored with this installation, I've worked a lot on it. I have other project under construction for now. :) May be a Making Of will come later.

jwiger: It took one month long. I first inspected song parts and create a .txt that resume all drums and doll's motions.
After that in NXT-G I've made a .txt reader/player to control motors.
A bad thing about NXT is that clocks doesn't run exactly the same speed on each ones. So I've made a Master program to provides synchronisation from NXT A while NXT B and C were slave.
jwiger
Location: Where ever the military sends me (currently Central Texas)

Post by jwiger »

Interesting, thank you.
JimmyJam
"The more you know, the more you know, the less you know."